A Once Fallen Empire

At the grand entrance of the Imperial Palace, Emris and Conan, who sat in her arms, were met with a group of staff members dressed in neat uniforms compared to the sloppy, wrinkled ones of before. They bow, displaying respect to the person of higher status.

"Welcome to the Imperial Palace, Lady Emris Fallow. We will diligently serve you during your peruse of the Imperial Library. I am Laurence, the new head butler entrusted with overseeing the staff and ensuring the smooth functioning of the Palace." A man with silver hair of old age and a voice of professionalism steps forward, his hand over his chest while bowing deeply.

Emris scrutinized Laurence, her eyes scanning for any hint of flaw resembling the last butler who'd abused his power and hurt the staff.

The staff doesn't look uncomfortable; actually, compared to the last time I saw them, their complexions and actions are more at ease this time around. Luckily, Mister Stephen kept his promise and chose a better head butler; I'm relieved then.

"Thank you, Mr. Laurence; I am in your capable hands." She softened her guarded expression, giving Laurence the benefit of the doubt.

Unsure of whether Emris would accept him as he had heard about what had happened with the previous butler, his unease drifted away as sand swept into the waves when Emris gave him a warm thanks.

"Allow me to escort you to the Library, My Lady."

With a graceful stride, Laurence led the way through the Main Palace to the Library. As they passed beneath the gentle glow of the chandeliers, Emris couldn't help but notice the change in atmosphere. From cold and dreary during that cold night, it had changed since her last visit to a warm scenery as if flickers of soft heat grazed her skin.

Laurence must have put his all into changing the vibe of the Palace. All in a week, the heightened empty isolation that crept into its walls dissipated, and in its place, the cozy enclosed feeling of a cottage. Mister Stephen found someone very capable of caring for the Palace; I can tell that Laurence is a good person.

"His Majesty, the Grand Emperor has allowed access to every parchment and record at disposal. Have you any questions, My Lady, please ring the bell to your left. Whatever it is you need, we will bring it for you immediately." Laurence gestured his hand to the bell.

"Thank you again, Mr. Laurence. Before you leave, I'd like to ask if you could bring me anything regarding the history of the Riphulon Empire." Emris asked, the glint of determination emanating from her expression. Her gemstone eyes capture the light of the roaring fire.

Knowing the extent of the Library's information, Laurence could imagine the amount of books and records pertaining to the vast topic of the Empire's history. He faltered momentarily but kept his composure and bowed his head to Emris, complying with her request.

"As you wish, My Lady."

***

A large stack of records and a separate pile of books were dropped on the desk in front of her, covering the light beaming from the fireplace. The thud of books and papers startled her and Conan.

"This is everything pertaining to the Empire's history?" Laurence patted his temples with a white handkerchief, uncertain what Emris had expected. "My Lady, pardon me for my abrupt speech, but are you... really going to read all this?"

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't know it would be this much, but something popped into my head while reading the book Verra lent me. The pages of the book are only brief information similar to common knowledge of the people of the Empire, but if I'm going to save this place, what I need is not simple information that everyone knows.