Adjusting To A New Life

Emris Fallow, the woman who disappeared into her estate and has remained in hiding for five years. The daughter of Duke Fallow, more popularly known as the 'beauty of the empire.' She is an intelligent girl who mysteriously stopped participating in high society. The entire empire knows her since she's been the center of gossip because of the curiosity and rumors about why she disappeared. She was always known for her beauty and nothing else. Only her father knew of her amazing inventions but permitted her from doing so for a reason unknown to even her. She never talked with those around her except for a select few people, but ultimately, she was quiet and timid.

The girl's tiny hand stroked the photo of Emris with a gentle, light touch. I could hear the sound of my heart tearing itself to pieces. What a sad life; how could anyone live that way? I understand now why she looked the way she did in her photo. The picture was gray, and Emris' expression was a stare that showed the light and sparkle in her eyes had gone out. There was no sign of a smile or even a hint of life behind her blank face.

"Verra, this poor girl had a pitiful life, didn't she?" She'd asked, not looking for a response but to express her empathy for Emris and her expression that mirrored someone who'd given up on the willingness to live. What kind of suffering had she gone through to make her hideaway for so long?

"The world is cruel. It gives mercy to no one, so there is no point in feeling sad when everyone suffers." As if speaking from her own experience, Verra made a gut-retching remark with a grimace while glaring at her marked palm.

I didn't have the heart to answer something so oppressive. It's not because deep down I agreed but because overlooking the suffering of someone on the premise that the world wanted to make them suffer is heartless and brutal. I don't want that; I don't want anyone to suffer the way I do since I, like many others, know the way people can crumble down from a tormenting experience.

"Verra, Do you know why she disappeared in the first place?" Fiddling with the top corner of Emris' page, the girl fixated a stare full of concern on Verra. Verra flinched, never witnessing such unwavering eyes from the anxious girl who'd traveled here.

"No, I know as much as the book does, so what's in there is also what's in my memory."

Her heart became heavy like a cinder block was burrowed in her chest, and though she had no correlation with Emris, she still felt a deep connection bound through sympathy. My consciousness feels so cluttered that I might get a headache soon; I wish I could use my body.

"I'm almost finished with the potions preparations, so prepare for transmigration. Also, I know you're struggling with accepting this matter, but it's fine; Emris will be okay."

Okay? How can anyone be okay when they're getting their body taken from them? Haa...the more I think about it, the more I understand why Verra chose Emris. Emris has been hidden away from society long enough for no one to recognize the kind of person she is anymore, and with that it'll be easier for me to live without suspicion.

However, even though it wasn't confirmed, I feel like Emris is a person with a miserable past, so choosing her makes me feel guilty. Why couldn't I be transmigrated into a new body created for this purpose? Now that I've seen magic, I believe anything is possible.

"...Damn it..." She mumbled under her breath for Verra to not hear. Lying back in the chair, she lifted her arms to her eyes and bit her bottom lip in agony.

"The potion is ready. Come over here so I can dump it on you already."

I'm sorry, Emris. Please forgive me; I promise to finish this mission as quickly as possible and return you're body back to you. Determined to make this right, she cleared her mind and decided to do everything she could.

Verra pushed the book into her hands and held the potion over her head. "Verra, can I know what exactly I'm saving them from before I go?"

"No, that's not something I'm allowed to tell you. It's something you're supposed to figure out on your own. Goodbye, Emris."

The girl wasn't surprised but rather bruised in the consciousness and heart. She didn't want to corrupt someone's identity with her touch or actions; she just wanted everything to be the same again.

The sight of Verra became blurry until it became black, and nothing was visible.

Sunlight streaming through the large windows shimmered against the window's gold accents. The birds sang happily and produced harmonious melodies pleasing to the ear. In an elegantly decorated room, a girl was sleeping on a white desk with her hands folded while supporting her head.

She'd awoken from the depth of her slumber and tried to sit up to rub her weary eyes, but the moment she'd gotten up, a strike of sharp pain rattled her head.

"Mmmm!...That stings..." She'd plastered her hands on her head, rubbing in circular motions to relieve the pain—more than the aching throb she'd wanted to know if she'd made it.

"Ugh, my head feels like my brain is pounding against my skull." Pushing through the pain, she saw the large bedroom in front of her. The ceiling above her had majestic wooden engravings with a vibrant golden chandelier to match. The bed was so large that it looked like it exceeded the size of a king-size bed. Her eyes shifted around the room when she realized it was a room fitting for a princess.

"Seriously, I can't even enjoy this gorgeous scenery because of my stupid headache." She rubbed her temples when the long, wavy strands of her hair draped over her pale white arms. "Huh? M-my hair...my hair's a light purplish color!"

To the nearest mirror, she ran and, in her reflection, revealed the beauty of Emris, whose eyes resembled twinkling aquamarine-colored gems and cascades of shiny, silky, whitish-lavender hair. Her plump lips also brought a contrasting pink color to her pale face and skin, which was smooth, soft, and as white as milk.

"Oh my god, Does a human being like this even exist? She seems more like an angel to me. How can anyone be this beautiful? No wonder she's known as the beauty of the empire." She cupped her face in her petite hands and gazed up and down at Emris's elegant yet slim physique. Her doe eyes completely held stars until reality dragged her back to the task at hand.

"Ah, I should snap out of it. Now that I've become Emris, it's time to get to work." She formed a fist, clapped it against her other palm, and narrowed her ignited gaze.