𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER THIRTEEN | THE LAST DAY

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

EDEN WAS MEANT FOR THE SACRIFICE. She hadn't told anyone, but somehow all those nightmares had finally made sense. Eden had gone over the plan several times with Elijah, she believed that she was meant to be sacrificed so that her sister— her twin sister— could live. It made sense, there had never been twin doppelgängers until now, perhaps nature had finally given up on trying to stop Klaus from breaking his curse and created a second doppelgänger— one to sacrifice, one to live happily ever after.

"Tonight is a full moon." Elijah informed as he stood in front of Eden, Elena and Stefan. "We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse."

Stefan raised an eyebrow. "Eden said that the Sun and Moon curse is fake. That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus."

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it, he'll be a true Hybrid." Elijah explained for the benefit of Stefan and Elena, who seemed baffled by the information.

Finally, Damon strolled into the room with a pointed glare on his face. "Then, why are we letting him break the curse? We can kill him today." His gaze flickered toward the twins. "With Bonnie."

"No. Bonnie can't use that much power without dying." Elena was quick to snap back, cutting Damon's plan off before it even begun. "It's not an option, Damon."

"Alright. How do we break this curse?" 

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know. A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the moonstone. After that, Klaus being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."

Elena looked up toward Elijah with knitted brows. "And, where do we fit into it?"

The Original looked to Eden, who gave him a glare. "Uh— the final part of the ritual. Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger to the point of your death. Given there's two of you, nature will only adapt, he'll drink from both of you."

Eden watched as their faces fell. She could see the hurt in their faces at the thought of losing Elena. Stefan comfortingly gripped Elena's hand, while Damon looked uneasy at the thought of loss. 

"And, then you swoop in with your fancy potion." Eden changed the subject to a slightly lighter note as Elijah opened a chest to reveal a small bottle. 

"This is an elixir that I acquired some five-hundred years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation." 

"So, we'll be dead?" Elena asked, motioning between herself and her sister.