Step 20: Fall asleep

Start from the beginning

As it turned out, Marius was already at the stables, as if his work started early in the morning or something. He'd just finished attaching a lunge line to Bonfire's halter as he spotted Frey, stopping in his tracks with an exaggerated gasp.

"Oh, wow. Have you been awake all night?"

"I just woke up early." Frey looked appropriately annoyed by the thought. "I see you did as well."

Marius blinked.

"When do you think my day starts?"

"... Noon?"

"That's your idea of 'day'." Marius grinned while beginning to loop the line around his hand. "So do you want to take Tea For Two out already?"

Frey shook his head.

"The poor girl. Let her sleep."

"I don't know how to tell you this, but your concept of time is skewed."

"Maybe your concept of time is—"

"Nope, it's yours." Marius gestured towards one of the round pens. "But since you're here, why don't you stay and oversee how things are going with Bon Bon? Gonna do some exercising now, and our sores are almost gone so it should be fine to be seen near each other again, right?"

Frey pondered it for a moment, indeed relieved the nightmarish blister on his lip had finally faded that much. Staying around for a while couldn't do any harm. He was supposed to check in on them now and then, so no one had any reason to find it strange.

"Why not?" He looked Marius and Bonfire up and down. They looked equipped enough with appropriate gear, but something was still missing. "Shouldn't you bring something to treat him with when he's doing well?"

"Hm?"

"Like something he likes, as motivation."

Marius grimaced.

"Ah, well... I hadn't thought about it."

"What, you don't give him treats?"

"Well, sure, sometimes." Marius shrugged. "Just not regularly."

Frey looked at the poor colt. As far as he was concerned, puppy eyes were no match against foal eyes, and young horse as Bonfire may be, foal eyes are forever.

"Why not get some carrots before we go, then?" He nodded towards the root cellar further away. "I'm sure Tea For Two could use one or two as well."

Marius followed Frey's gaze with pursed lips.

"Actually, I'm pretty sure we're out of carrots."

Frey looked back at him with raised eyebrows.

"Out?"

"Yeah, like they're gone."

"Carrots?"

Marius nodded slowly, and Frey attempted a laugh.

"It's not even spring, how can we be out? The harvest was fine."

"Apparently not for the horses." Marius shrugged before steering Bonfire along. "Anyway, we should get going. I have other things to do later."

Frey knitted his eyebrows, hesitating to follow.

"Is the kitchen out as well?"

"How should I know?" Marius' tone was short and bordering on annoyance, to Frey's great confusion. "If it's that important you should go ask them. I need to keep doing my job so I don't fall behind."

"No, I..." Frey swallowed, eyes lowering as he pointed over his shoulder. "... I'm just gonna say hi to Tea For Two first, then I'll be with you."

He watched Marius as he walked off, unease prickling his skin, but he did as he'd said and went inside to find Tea For Two.