Chapter 42 - The Chance Encounter III

Naruto drew a steadying breath as he walked into the lobby of The W, looking for the entrance to the restaurant. The run-in with Sasuke had thrown him more than he wanted to admit and if Gaara hadn't driven likely two hours to meet him for dinner, he might have cancelled.

He was frustrated with himself for letting it get to him so much. He only hoped it wouldn't ruin his date with the first person he'd felt a real connection to since Sasuke. He ignored the tiny voice in his head that maybe he was drawn to Gaara because he was similar in many ways to Sasuke. He walked into the restaurant, looking around to see if he could a familiar head of red hair. He didn't see Gaara, but it was still a few minutes before they were scheduled to meet. He couldn't help the small flare of relief

"How many in your party this evening?" A man dressed in all black with a small white cloth draped over his arm appeared, ready to usher Naruto to a table.

"Um... two? I'm meeting someone here, but I don't see him yet."

"What name is the reservation under?" the man asked, stepping behind the small counter and scrolling through the reservations list.

"Sabaku," Naruto said as the man looked through the names.

"Ah, yes. I have it here. Would you like to be seated while you wait, or would you prefer to stay at the bar until he arrives?" There was no doubt in his mind that Naruto could use a drink. "The bar. Thanks."

"Very good. I'll notify you when the rest of your party arrives," the man said, directing Naruto to the bar before returning to greet a well-dressed couple who had just walked in.

Naruto ordered a rum and coke after deciding that beer seemed too casual for this place. He needed something stronger, anyway. He forced himself to think about something other than the raw feeling he'd had when he'd run into Sasuke earlier that evening... trying not to analyze the frozen look on Sasuke's face when Naruto had thrown out the jab about Neji at the end. Tried not to hope that somehow Sasuke actually had cared what Naruto thought at this point. He wasn't going to think about what Sasuke might have said if Naruto had stayed to talk about things. There really was no point. Why try to go and explain what had gone wrong? If Sasuke was happy in a relationship with someone else, then Naruto needed to let it go.

Stop thinking about it. Sasuke is with someone else and happy. Don't obsess over someone else's boyfriend. Don't be an ass.

The bartender delivered Naruto his drink, and Naruto took a large swallow, forcing himself to mentally shift topics and think about the current job he was working on for Jiraiya. Naruto would be photographing various public transportation infrastructure around the country and the people who used them. It was a far cry from his prior job of shooting a sex club, but Naruto really liked the mix of topics that his new work provided him, though photographing people was still his favorite.

He was taking another sip of his drink when he felt someone slide into the space next to him at the bar. Naruto turned to see Gaara dressed in a business suit that looked ridiculously good on the man. It struck Naruto that Gaara looked just as comfortable in a suit as he did in leather pants, and somehow it came as almost a surprise. "Sorry if I kept you waiting," Gaara murmured, signaling the bartender to order a whiskey.

"Nah, it's fine. I ended up being a little early so I thought I'd just grab a drink," Naruto had thought he'd managed to play it off casually, but Gaara's eyes narrowed.

"Rough day?"

"It's fine. How about you? In town on business?" Naruto knew it wasn't the most subtle deflection, but Gaara let it pass.

"Yes. The club isn't the only business I own. It's just the one I am the most... personally invested in." "Excuse me, gentlemen. Your table is ready." A waiter appeared behind them, gesturing towards what was presumably their table somewhere in the dining room.