chapter iii

"𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐞𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐬. 𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦; 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰. 𝐋𝐞𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐛𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲. 𝐋𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐟𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞."
- 𝐋𝐚𝐨 𝐓𝐳𝐮

"- 𝐋𝐚𝐨 𝐓𝐳𝐮

Sokka instinctively shielded his sister as the residual blast dispersed, leaving a mesmerizing swirl of blue light atop the shattered iceberg. In its midst stood the boy, his eyes and arrow markings still aglow, a captivating yet eerie sight.

"Stop!" Sokka's command cut through the charged atmosphere as he leveled his spear at the boy, ready to defend against any threat.

As the glow faded, the boy slumped down, unconscious, and slid toward Sokka and Katara. Acting on instinct, they caught him before he could hit the icy ground. Sokka tentatively prodded the boy's head with the blunt end of his weapon, prompting a protective reaction from Katara.

"Stop it!" she hissed, shielding the boy from Sokka's harmless prodding.

As the boy stirred, his voice barely above a whisper, he beckoned Katara closer. "I need to ask you something," he murmured, his eyes still half-open, drawing her in with an air of mystery.

Curiosity piqued, Katara leaned in, only to be caught off guard by the sudden shift in the boy's demeanour. "Will you go penguin sledding with me?" he blurted out excitedly, his tone betraying the seriousness of moments before.

"Uh... sure," Katara responded awkwardly, taken aback by the sudden change in conversation.

Aang, as the boy, effortlessly airbended to his feet, prompting a startled reaction from Sokka, who watched with wide eyes.

"What's going on here?" Aang inquired, his curiosity matching that of the siblings.

Sokka, still in a state of shock, pointed accusingly at Aang. "You tell us! How did you and the girl end up in the ice?" He prodded Aang with his spear. "And why aren't you frozen?"

Aang deftly deflected the spear, his demeanor strangely calm. "I'm not sure," he admitted, his attention quickly drawn elsewhere as a low, animalistic noise filled the air. With lightning speed, he scaled the ruined iceberg, leaping over the crater's lip to land atop a massive, furry beast. "Appa! Are you alright? Wake up, buddy."

Turning his attention to the unconscious girl, Kireina, the boy's best childhood friend, Aang crouched down beside her, his worry palpable. "Reina!" he called out softly, checking her condition. Though unconscious, she breathed steadily, bringing a small measure of relief to Aang's troubled mind.