A Great Heroes Silence

this is just my interpretation and own personal thoughts of how sonic deals with the heavy burdens left from his adventures n stuff along with some morally dubious sonic, idk don't take it too seriously i just wanted to try out something new :3 also dunno if this needs a warning but just in case:
[ TW ]
minor character death with very few details

"Sigh..."

The blue hedgehog let out a heavy, almost tired breath, stretching out his body on top of the high branch of a tree that he had just jumped on, plopping down and taking a seat afterward. "Nothin' like a fine view after a long, hard day of kicking Eggman's ass."

Sonic hummed, staring out into the distance with a slight smirk as he rested his arms behind his head, crossing his legs aswell. The branch he was currently resting on belonged to a tall tree near a cliff, letting the hedgehog see the city he often frequented and where most of his friends lived in its full glory from afar. With it being morning, the sun was out and about shining brightly in the sky, with a few present clouds here and there.

The view was just right for him. Having to stop Eggman's usual antics not too long prior, he found himself craving a bit of downtime. Not like he didn't love the thrill of action, it was quite the opposite, but the hedgehog liked to have his moments of relaxation now and again.

It was just that at this very moment, for whatever reason, he found himself a little desperate to settle down for once. Drained, even. And he definitely wasn't easily drained after a simple fight. Sonic wasn't one to be desperate, either. Especially not if it meant an exciting adventure of his would have to come to an end.

He liked having a fair balance, but he would be lying if he said he didn't prefer the adrenaline rush and the action just a bit more.

It was a little strange to the hedgehog, but of course, the feeling was simply brushed off. He wasn't one to linger on things like this and stress himself out, so he'll just give his body what it wants, which is exactly what he's doing right now.

Even despite not minding it, it did make him wonder a bit.

Why is he suddenly feeling this way?

For as long as he could remember, his life was always filled with adventures and excitement left and right once he had met Eggman. Not like he remembers how exactly they met and when... It had been far too long for him to recall the full details.

But anyway. Saving the world a few times and going on big adventures, he was basically considered a hero worldwide. Few people hadn't heard of the blue blur, always traveling where he pleased and going where the wind would take him.

Going on all these fun journeys, meeting various new people along the way... Sonic really couldn't ask for more, he couldn't imagine a world without the freedom of going on a ton of adventures.

But of course, you can't be an adventurer without experiencing great losses, which is exactly what Sonic has been through countless times before. Yet, despite all those negative experiences, the blue hedgehog never felt deeply upset or changed negatively after. Almost like he was resilient to anything depressing, he would always find a way to cheer up and not linger on it.

Sonic considered that one of his greatest strengths. Yet for whatever reason, it seems to him that some circumstances have changed recently.

...But he didn't want to linger too much on it. Of course.

A lovely coping mechanism.

Whatever...

The blue hedgehog quickly snapped out of his thoughts before he could potentially spiral, blinking blankly as the smile on his muzzle faltered. Sonic simply sighed, leaning his back against the tree as he closed his eyes, opting to take a small nap.