outsideTheArena.01

Start from the beginning

"Unfortunately, yes sir," the First Scientist starts. "Several of the experimental detainment brackets didn't release properly – or at all. Consequently, the Subjects held on the platforms in question were removed from the equation by the other variables without fail. Well, that is all but one specimen. It managed to break its left ankle, as well as succeeding in ripping off a large portion of flesh, muscle, and tissue from its right foot. Somehow, it managed to hobble away through the maze." The First Scientist pulls out a small handheld glass device and presses a few times on it. Across the room, over by the large meeting table, a hologram of Subject Four-One-Six pops up. It displays the male Subject stumbling down one of the large stone passages, blood trails dragging from both of his feet. One of which is bent off at an odd angle. The hologram perfectly tracks its movements. The Head Scientist doesn't react, sipping his coffee, his expression unphased at the horrifyingly sad sight. The First Scientist looks down at his datapad again. "Oh, one last thing." The Head Scientist growls, slamming his coffee mug onto his desk. A splatter of coffee splashes out of the mug and onto the desk.

"What is it?" He snarls angrily at the First Scientist. The First Scientist adjusts his glasses, pushing them farther up his nose once more with shaky hands as he fearfully clutching the datapad close to his chest.

"After monitoring our Subject Two-Nine-Five's brainwaves, we deduced that he is having flashbacks of memories from before insertion." The Head Scientists ears prick up, his eyes swivelling around to the First Scientists, locking onto him with a keen glare. "Well, he has only currently had one, but he will almost certainly experience more in the future."

"What do you mean?" He demands, intrigued. "This has never happened before." The First Scientist nods at his boss, handing him the datapad displaying a graph of Subject Two-Nine-Five's brain activity.

"We believe that the mutation in his genetic code – though viable for the experiments we put him through – may have blocked our brain probe from functioning properly, essentially acting as a shield of sorts. He has managed to retain information that should no longer exist. Curious, isn't it? More than that, it appears to be triggered by certain images. For example, upon encountering Subject Two-Nine-Six, he recalled a memory of them before the wipe." The Head Scientist looks on in awe and pride at the brainwave graph.

"Interesting..." The First Scientist nods his head, his glasses slipping down his nose with the bobbing motion.

"Isn't it just? Though, I theorise that he retained more than just faces. What else he may contain is unknown, but I think that instead of erasing his memory, all we did was supress them. He could – and probably will – recall more information. We shall have to see how this all plays out, won't we?" The First Scientist finishes, appearing very pleased with himself. The Head Scientist hands back the datapad to him, concern imprinted across his face.

"We shall have to keep an even closer eye on him than before..." Exclaims thoughtfully. "He was our highest specimen from this division – we showed him more than any other Subjects." The First Scientist nods, but the Head Scientist notices that he is shuffling his feet slightly in his standing position. The Head Scientist sighs, gently placing his coffee mug on his glass desk. He knows his inferior well enough to deduce when something is on his mind. "Yes?" he enquires.

"Well," the First Scientist starts, "last Arena I suggested that we lower the walls to around thirty metres in height, as them being climbable could introduce a new variable to the experiments. I was wondering if we could revisit that suggestion?" The Head Scientist cracks a slight grin.

"Very well, if you insist, then you can give the order." The First Scientist grins gleefully, beginning to tap away on his datapad. Three loud, successive beeps sound out from the datapad in the First Scientist hands, interrupting his typing.

"Ah, it just got called in that your hypothesis was correct – we have confirmed that the Subjects are all experiencing slightly elevated strength and stamina, and reduced recovery time – among other things – as a result of constant radiation exposure." The Head Scientist smiles.

"No surprises there." The First Scientist smiles back, returning to his typing. Just then, the Second Scientist takes off his headset from over his ears, placing them on the large table to the side of him. The Second Scientist is a man of interest. He is the second longest serving person in the group, serving for two years less than the Head Scientist. He has dark skin tone, and is a rather tall person, standing half a head higher than the Head Scientist. He bears no glasses, but always has an assortment of pens clipped to his white lab-coat pocket. The Second Scientist relinquishes his position on the supercomputer, moving over towards the hologram. The Head Scientist seems to take notice of him for the first time.

"Ah, the man of the hour!" The Head Scientist merrily exclaims, raising a finger towards the holographic display. "The new Gyroscopic Camera Drones you installed are working wonders!" The Second Scientist smiles at the generous praise.

"Thank you, sir," he exclaims, clasping his hands together as he glances at the hologram. He is very well spoken, having no lisp. Although he grew up his whole life under the care of American parents, he still developed a slight accent from his home country – India. He is visibly beaming with pride. "I will spare you the numbers for these new prototypes, but they are virtually silent – completely undetectable. Well, except through some mutations, of course! As well as that, I, for one, would say that they allow for much better viewing of the Arena!" The Second Scientist looks at the First, his smile failing. "I couldn't help but overhear your conversations, as well. I thought that we had fixed all the insertion tubes this time!" The Second Scientist exclaims. The First Scientist hands the Second the vital logs for the Subjects who died due to the unfortunate failures.

"Well, no point in dwelling on the past. We can only focus on our future," The Head Scientist says, looking between the others. The Second Scientist nods at him, frowning slightly.

"This... Issue, shall we call it? With Subject Two-Nine-Five, do you think that it will be detrimental to the experiment?" The Second Scientist questions. "If so, we can extract him and attempt to re-wipe." The Head Scientist shakes his head.

"I do not think that will be necessary. Until he recalls something 'important,' I do not think that there will be any need to do that. Besides, you know what happened to the last Subject we had to brain wipe twice..." The Head Scientist trails off. The Second Scientist shivers slightly.

"Yes, I do remember the case of One-One-One. Ever since, that number has been a curse of sorts for us..." The Head Scientist smiles, flashing rows of crooked teeth.

"Indeed, it would appear that way. But such superstitions are just that – superstitions." He pauses to think for a moment. "But I'm getting off track. Monitor his brainwaves, specifically those on the level of conscious thought. Until he uncovers something important, we will sit and observe. For the most part, at least." The Head Scientist looks between the First and Second Scientists, smiling slightly. "For the good of the people," he exclaims to them. They both smile back at him, nodding their heads in synchronisation.

"For the good of thepeople," they both echo.