18. Nothing Serious

Start from the beginning

And I'd like to say that it's all water under the bridge now, but I don't even know if that's actually the case, but something in me is telling me to give my best friend the benefit of the doubt, so that's what's I been doing. I've been letting Janaé stay here with me, it honestly actually feels better this way anyways, I still get panic attacks sometimes, and I hate being left completely by myself.

Anyways, Em is calling me now, and I was going to ignore his call like I've been doing the last few days, not wanting anymore complications in my already messy life.

"Girl, go ahead, just answer him," Janaé then says, slightly rolling her eyes as she plops down next to me on the sofa.

"Fuck for?" I give her a weird look.

"Because you like him, duh," Janaé then sighs. "Which honestly, is not in good taste at all, but it is what it is."

"Hoe, please," I attempt to ignore her.

"Girlllll!!" Janaé then quite literally snatches my phone from my hand, flips it open and presses the talk button on the keyboard, pushing the small device to one of my ears as I give her a death glare which she returns.

"I hate you!" I mouth to her, before shakily speaking into the phone, not even knowing what I'm so nervous for, I mean, it's just Em.

"Hello?"

"Love you too, boo," Janaé then mouths back to me, blowing me a kiss.

The two of us acting exactly how we used to always be around each other, as if her betrayal has never even happened, even though we DID talk about it.

"Fuck, you actually picked up this time? No sending my ass to voicemail??" Em says sarcastically at the other end of the line while I give Janaé another death stare before turning away from her.

"Um... I'm sorry, I've been sort of... busy. Then again, why am I even apologizing to you?! Nigga, I don't have to talk to you!" I say defensively.

"Shit, I don't gotta talk to you neither, girl. The only reason I do is cause..."

"Because you still have that weird guilt complex over what's happened to me, well, don't, Em! And just drop it already!"

"Yo, it ain't why I keep calling you at all!" The white boy exclaims angrily then, and I'm just about to say something else mean to him to try and push him away before he goes and hurts me jusy like everybody else has been doing lately, until Janaé nudges me hard in my side. I give her a side glance over my shoulder.

"Anyway, how have you been, how's Hai?" I then ask Em stupidly, knowing damn well that my side mood switch just now must've given that poor guy a whiplash.

I roll my eyes at Janaé then who nods somewhat approvingly at me.

"Yo, what the... I mean, she's good, she's back in the D, and I just came back to LA," Em then says, sounding rightfully so bewildered as all hell. "She uh... actually wanted me to say hi to her. As you know my daughter is real fond of you, Aurora. Can't say that I can relate to that, but it is what it is."

"Boy, whatever, you love me," I joke, instantly biting my tongue as Janaé gives me wide disapproving eyes and nudges me again, and I could just kick myself, because why would I even say something stupid like that to him?!

"Bitch, please! You wish that shit was true," Em starts busting out laughing at the other end of the line, and I roll my eyes, but then start laughing right along with him.