44. The Misery

When Harmony was told what happened on the day her mother died, time stood still as her eyes widened and she held her breath in her trembling chest.

She stood there, frozen, not even able to blink for a while as she stared at him.

Though she was filled with anticipation and hope when she had arrived, she was now left in nothing but sorrow.

Now with her breath unsteady, tears welled up in her eyes then streamed down her face, each tear representing the words she couldn't express.

When she faced the floor and shut her eyes, her body trembled harder and a choked sob escaped her quivering lips, and it grew in intensity and volume until it echoed through the room.

When she felt a presence before her, she wasn't even strong enough to look up. The truth completely crushed her.

"I'm sorry," Liam said, his own breath faltering.

As soon as he touched her shoulders, she pushed his hands away and stepped away from him while still facing the floor, until her back hit the wall.

She slid down and buried her face in her hands, the sorrow only getting heavier.

She didn't want him anywhere near her.

Unable to be in the same room as him, she picked herself off the floor to leave.

With a trembling hand, she twisted the door knob but paused when he spoke.

"Please don't just leave like this. Say something."

She looked over her shoulder, parting her quivering lips.

"When my mother died, my life was miserable."

Thinking back to how much she had been through, there was a physical pain in her chest along with all the grief.

Having said the only words she could, she opened the door and unintentionally slammed it loudly after leaving.

Even though she wiped her tears, more only streamed down her face.

But when she ran into Justin and Mr and Mrs Hawkins, she wiped her tears once again.

She thought back to the day when they had all ganged up on her, warning her to stay away from Liam and how Mrs Hawkins had gone as far as personally showing up at her apartment to make sure that she was staying away from him.

She wondered if they did that only because of what the real truth would do to her, but she didn't even bother to ask. She just wanted to leave that place.

It was for this reason that when Justin tried to stop her by stepping forward and blocking her way, she maneuvered to the other side, pushing past Mrs Hawkins and rushing outside.

She instantly took out her phone and first called Blake, begging her to come over, and she was so worried that she was already on her way.

After getting into a cab, she then called Dean and couldn't believe that was the truth he had been hiding from her.

She dialed his number, hoping he would pick up. They hadn't spoken in a while.

"What's up?" he said as soon as he picked up, his tone a little irritated.

She could only choke on her sobs once again.

"Hey, what happened?" His voice was now laced with concern.

"Please, I need you. Can you come over?"

"Wait, what happened?"

"I... I can't talk about it. Please just come over."