Chapter 4 - Dying, what else?

After stopping an attempted armed robbery in Mayfair, Y/n slouched in the passenger seat of the  car, finally taking time to breathe. Lestrade took the wheel and they left the scene, a few police cars towing after them.

"Well done Y/n. You really deserve a promotion." he said, smiling happily. He was always on a high after a successful mission. For a while now, they had been on a roll, with not one single unsolved case or criminal escaping from their grasp. Needless to say, the whole of Scotland Yard was enjoying this little moment of achieving and procuring safety to the people. 

"Hell yeah." Y/n grinned back, winding her hand through her hair and feeling the cold beads of sweat near her hairline. 

"Do I drop you off at Baker Street?"

"Nah... Mind grabbing a drink with me? As friends of course." she asked, hopeful. She'd have to write the report but she had until tomorrow evening to do it. Anyways, Lestrade knew he was going to get it near 2 am as usual. So why not enjoy some of the time she could spend with him? Greg was a dear friend to her heart and one of the closest whom she valued a lot. 

"Sure, I've been needing time off." he sighed, eyes on the road. Y/n didn't miss the slight sadness that had clouded his features. He gripped the steering wheel firmly, trying to not let his emotins get to him. 

Tentativey, Y/n asked, "Your wife?" 

"Yeah." Lestrade mumbled, clearing his throat. 

Y/n only had one solution for this. One that always worked and could most often lift any of the dampened spirits. 

"Turn to the left then take another left in a kilometre. Then take a right and go straight. There's a nice spot over there."

"Do you know all the London streets by heart?" Lestrade exclaimed. He wouldn't be surprised if she did. Y/n seemed capable of anything.  

"No, of course not." Y/n dismissed, laughing "Didn't bother learning those. It's just I studied in that area." 

With Lestrade following her instructions, they parked near a comfortable coffee shop where a waiter breezily led them to a table for two near the back. It felt warm, inviting with the aroma of freshly ground coffee beans and teas clinging in the air as well as the soft cloying scent of pastries and sweet delicacies. Cutlery clattered against tableware, added with the hum of conversations overlapping and mixing with one another. 

"My treat, Greg. Pick what you want." Y/n said, skimming through the menu. She didn't know why she even looked, since she usually always took the same things. It was safe and foolproof in her opinion. 

"No, I can't Y/n." Greg replied, steadfast. He wasn't going to let her pay after all. 

"I insist Greg. You need it." 

"No." 

"Well, we'll see then." Y/n smiled snarkily behind her menu. She was stubborn and more often than not, always had it her way. 

Lestrade ordered a cappuccino with lemon cake whilst Y/n took (your favorite drink) and chocolate chip cookies. Their order arrived quickly from the same waiter. 

"So, tell me everything." Y/n said to a hesitant Greg as she put down her cup on the wooden table, signalling for him to start talking. He seemed unsure and tried to hide it away, turning the conversation towards her instead. But after a few minutes and a little prompting, he started telling her everything troubling him, slowly unraveling the truth. The more he let on, the more Y/n felt sorry for her friend and tried to give him the best advice she could for his situation. He would smile sadly, happy to have Y/n by his side to comfort and help him. They continued talking for a good half hour, until Lestrade needed the bathroom. The truth was he had seen the young waiter looking at Y/n and decided to see how things went. He could only wish for her love life to be better than his currently.