"Is that what you want to know?", I questioned, looking at him in contempt.

"What's your name?", he asked, schooling his expression.

"You don't need that.", I replied calmly.

"What-", he was going to argue, but I cut him off.

"Stop wasting my time and come to the point. I am already shot in the hand and have no patience for unnecessary interrogations.", I said coldly, my tone calm yet sharp.

He stared at me for a long moment before questioning further.

"Do you know those men?", he asked.

"No.", I replied curtly.

"Why did they attack you then?", he asked.

"I don't know. Why don't you ask them and let me know?", I suggested bluntly.

"The stab wounds on them, did you cause those?", he questioned.

"Yes.", I answered.

"Who are you affiliated with?", he questioned sternly.

"None.", I replied shortly.

"Stop acting smart!", he raised his voice impatiently.

"If the truth is not what you want, then screw off.", I said sharply, gazing at him stoically.

If only I was not injured, I would have at least tried to grab the gun tucked at his waist and shoot him in the brain for how irritating he's being in a situation like this.

Da*n my luck!

"Ahh", a sudden scream interrupted us.

"Keep it down.", the man in front of me ordered angrily.

"Yes, sir.", some of the men, who were dealing with the two attackers, replied in unison.

They were punching those guys hard and it looked as if they're questioning them too.

"Look, I'm sure you don't want to be treated the same way as them, so give me the truth.", the guy in front of me threatened seriously.

I stared him in the eyes blankly.

He huffed angrily and glared at me darkly.

"You -", he was cut off yet again.

"Dean", one of the men dealing with the attackers, called out loudly, hurrying towards us.

"What?", the guy in front of me, probably Dean, snapped at him.

"Those f**kers are saying that they targeted her because .. um .. well, she's the boss's lover.", the guy said, himself surprised and peeking glances at me.

My eyes widened at that.

Lover?

Whose lover?

Boss?

Wh-

"You're saying that the head of the entire mafia syndicate jumped off a cliff for someone he's not related to?"

I remembered the words they uttered before striking at me.

Mr. Marino is the boss they're talking about.

The mafia syndicate's boss.

I'm being targeted because they misunderstood me for his lover?

I felt my whole body shudder repulsively at the thought of getting involved with someone who's not just a tiny part of the mafia, but the boss himself.