Chapter Four

“I bet you couldn’t beat my high score on Call of Duty,” Jake smiled, holding out a controller for Kyle.

“Dude, I can beat your high score,” Mason whispered, laughing slightly.

“You’ve also been playing this game with him for years, Mason.” I moved to get out of his lap.

“Stay,” he whispered, so low that Kyle couldn’t hear.

“So, will you play with me Kyle?” Jake asked, holding out a third controller.

“Hey! You said we only had two controllers!”I shouted at Jake.

“I lied.” he smiled mischievously.

“Sure little man,” Kyle sat in between Jake and Mason.

Mason, you have to let me go. Now. I said mentally. “What do you want to drink?” I rose from Mason’s lap, thankful that he let me go.

“Can I have a coke, sis?” Jake asked, not taking his eyes off the screen.

“Sure thing, Jakey. Mason? Kyle?” I asked politely.

“Sprite,” Mason answered.

“Coke,” Kyle looked at me and smiled.

“Okay, I’ll be right back,” I walked into the kitchen grabbing two coke cans and a sprite, I also took a straws from the cabinet; Mason and Jake loved straws with their sodas. “Jake,” I bent his straw and put the can in his waiting hand. “Kyle,” I put the can in his hand. “And Mason.” I took a sip of his, put the straw back in it, and handed it to him.

“Thanks,” they said in union.

“Come sit with me,” Kyle patted his lap.

“Sure Kyle.” I muttered, sitting myself on his legs. This is how it’s supposed to be, Mason. I gave Mason a shy smile.

“I know,” he whispered in response.

“You know what?” Kyle looked at Mason with disgust.

“Nothing, apparently.” Mason looked at the screen, and leaned back into the cushions of the couch.

“Jake, c’mon, wake up,” I shook him slightly. He’d fallen asleep on the couch after playing with Mason and Kyle for six hours straight. Kyle had gone home and so had Mason.

“I’ll get him, honey,” mother said, walking into the living room.

“It's okay mom, I’ve got him,” I leaned down and put my little brother over my shoulder.

“Good night, my angels,” she kissed my forehead, then moved back to kiss Jake’s cheek.

“Good night mother,” I walked slowly up the stairs to my brother’s room.

“Night…Sissy.” Jake whispered as I set him in his bed.

“Nighty-Night, sweetie. I love you,” I smiled and kissed my brother’s nose.

“Mornin’ Alex!” Maggie walked up beside me as I trudged up the steps.

“Hello Maggie,” I returned her smile as I walked to my locker.

“Do I have to sit with Kyle again at lunch today? It’s not that I don’t mind it, but Rose-Mary’s the only person there who’s willing to talk to me. And, I hate being alone.” she blurted.

“Mason’s handling it. He got someone yesterday; he turned one of Kyle’s best friend’s girlfriends. You can sit with us at lunch today.” I nodded, and then saw Kyle knocking Mason’s books from his hands and shoving him into a locker.