So that's how he wants to play.

"You won't like how this ends," I warn. "Just let us go in peace."

His fangs flash right before he says, "You ditched peace the moment your hand wrapped around my neck."

I guess he kinda has a point, but I'm known for striking first and talking second. I wasn't about to let him talk my mate down when she was right there.

Right there...

Shit.

I look over to find her huddled in the corner, hands tightly clasped around her mouth and eyes screwed shut.

Why didn't she run? Is natural instinct not a thing anymore?

A fist comes into view, and I duck right before the blow meets my nose.

I throw one of my own, catching him in the stomach and watching as he doubles over.

"Enough," I growl. "Is this really the behaviour you want your people seeing? You are scaring your subjects."

He looks around with a frown, as if just realizing we aren't alone. Both of our guards stand close by, ready to intervene when told to, and all of his people watch the fight with wide, terrified eyes.

"This isn't over," he says lowly, just for my ears. "But for the sake of my people, you take that rag of filth and get out of my kingdom."

My wolf snarls, but I just turn around.

I have no idea how to deal with the trembling mess of my mate in the corner, but I don't have time to figure it out in here.

I slowly slip my arms under her knees and back, lifting her off the ground and into my arms.

Her eyes shoot open with a gasp, gaze flitting everywhere as her breathing turns more and more ragged.

"Shh," I try to soothe. "You're ok now. I promise you're safe."

It does nothing to calm her, but I fear if we linger here any longer, Alexander will change his mind and kill us both, so I hurry out the doors and towards the carriage, my guards following close behind.

Levi opens the wooden doors, and I carefully set my mate inside before taking the seat across from her.

The door shuts with a click, and a minute later we're moving, starting the long journey back home.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

Silence.

Usually I love the sound of nothing. I love the noise that disappears once I'm alone, but staring at my mate as she looks out the tiny window silent and still unnerves me in a way I'm not used to.

Talk to her, my wolf demands. You're acting like a teenager in high school, waiting for her to make the first move.

Awesome. I love being demoted to a lovesick teenager.

I clear my throat before asking, "What's your name?"

She flinches, and something inside of me stretches tight. I guess I deserve that. My little display of violence wasn't exactly admirable mate material.

"Inara Graham," she whispers without looking at me.

"Inara," I repeat, testing it out.

I don't miss the deep breath and flutter of her lashes as the words leave my lips, and I barely keep a smirk from rising.

"Are you aware of what's happening, Inara?" I ask, making sure we're on the same page. "You know how the festival works?"

I would hope everyone in both kingdoms would be educated on this subject, but I'm so desperate for a topic that I'm grasping at used straws.

She doesn't answer, her eyes moving to her lap as she gnaws on her lips.

"Inara?"

She sucks in a giant breath before muttering, "I can't be your mate."

I run a hand through my hair, mumbling, "Not this bullshit again." I slide closer to the edge of the seat and rest my elbows on my knees as I ask, "Do you doubt my wolf's ability to scent his own mate?"

Her eyes widen and shoot to mine, panic radiating from every inch of her.

"No, your majesty! I didn't mean that! I just meant that I-"

"You will never use that title with me," I interrupt.

She blinks rapidly, head nodding in jerky movements.

"Of course! Your highness, I just meant that-"

"No," I interrupt again.

Her breathing becomes laborious, eyes so wide I'm surprised they're still inside her head.

"I- umm.... Your kinglyness...?"

I scoff and shake my head.

"You are my equal," I state, eyes holding her terrified ones. "Not my subject, and definitely not my servant. You will address me by my name, as I will address you by yours."

She's terrified. Trembling head to toe with the notion that I'm scolding her for forgetting my preferred title. Are they really so callous in the Sun kingdom? Would she have been punished for addressing someone with the wrong name?

I will murder them all, my wolf snarls, his fangs nipping the air.

What other foolish mishaps has she been beaten for?

She looks so scared and fragile, like one more crack will shatter her entire being.

My jaw works, fury rippling in my veins like waves in the ocean, every lap making my blood boil.

"I don't care how the Sun kingdom did things," I say, my voice chilled. "Things will be different in my kingdom."

She nods stiffly, eyes back on the window.

Fine.

Silence it is.