chapter three.

🎬 : sunghoon pov.
⏱️ : period two.

_________________________________

🔔 CHIME.

i finally walked in after waiting outside of the classroom for the whole of period one. a sigh escaped my lips as i placed my bag on the table before sitting down.

i leaned myself near sunoo a little so that the younger could hear me over all the other chatter going on in the room. "you got here pretty fast, take a taxi?"

"have you ever seen a human running?" sunoo replied, turning to look at me.

isa approached us, "homework?" she asked; she's always the appointed person to collect homework.

"i didn't bring it," i replied.

"tell the teacher then," she said as she collected sunoo's and walked away. i moved my chair away from the shorter and leaned against the wall. at that moment, the speakers tuned to prepare for the student announcement.

"fellow students, a notification will be broadcast shortly. in response to the call of the municipal education bureau, our school are organising a ten kilometre run." a mixture of cheers and groans filled the classroom as the announcement continued; "all high school sophomores must participate."

i groaned and jay threw his head back in exhaustion and disappointment. however, everyone settled down once mr jung came in.

"stop chatting with each other and open the english book," he said to everyone whilst standing in front of the blackboard.

jay turned around and whispered to me: "ten kilometres. why don't they get the freshman to do it? why's it harder for the older years on top and easier for the younger ones."

"last years city choir competition, you were a freshman, didn't you participate?"

"that's off topic. watch next year, this'll happen again, but seniors will be forced to run it."

sunoo looked up at us two and laughed softly as he carried on copying notes off of the blackboard. jay and i looked over at him.

"what are you laughing at?" i asked.

"right?" jay followed. the smile didn't escape sunoo's face as he looked up at us once again.

yungyu, who was sitting next to jay, spoke up: "who doesn't laugh at you?"

sunoo snorted as jay and i now turned to look at yungyu. "do your work," i said.

"sunghoon," mr jung said, causing me to look at him before he continued: "stand up."

i sighed and stood up.

"give me the answers to these questions," he said as he wrote english sentences and left blank spaces which i had to fill in.

"uhh, i choose c," the whole class suddenly began laughing. i mean, i know english isn't my strongest point but, that's harsh.

"this is a fill-the-blank question!"

even sunoo was laughing. why was he laughing? how could he just sit there next to me and humble me by laughing? he could at least try and hide it.

"if you wanted to pick a letter so badly, why didn't you just pick w?" mr jung provoked, "hey, all of you are laughing so hard. why don't you come up and answer it matthew?"

laughter and chatter filled the room even more.

_________________________________

⏱️ : dinner.
📍: home.

_________________________________

"dad," i said with a mouthful of rice: "next week, the school will organise us sophomores to participate in a health run."

"if you finish first you can buy something."

a grin plastered on my face as my mum brought another one of the dishes out for us to dig into. it was gochujang honey shrimp.

"mum? why are we eating seafood again? can't we eat something lighter?" i asked.

"seafood has high quality protein," my mother continued; "that'll give you a strong brain. you just need to eat more now, okay?" she said as she poured some shrimp for me in a bowl and placed it in front of me.

"i don't wanna eat it every meal though," i complained.

my mum sighed as she picked the bowl up and held the chopsticks with the shrimp to my mouth, "open your mouth, eat it."

i reluctantly chewed on it in order to not seem ungrateful.

"does it taste nice?" she asked, "is it delicious? i specially put in a lot of gochujang today. eat quickly son, go on," she took her apron off and sat down to eat herself.