Shreyas Iyer

SHREYAS

Who knew your parents visiting a hospital would result in arranged marriage proposal?

My mom was suffering with joint pains and dad took her to a hospital when her pain started increasing, gradually.
I was in England, playing away series at that point.
It was nothing serious at all. Just some pain so I didn't take it seriously.

Guess what was waiting for me when I flew back home?
A rishta!

"Bhai, mom is quite.... taken with this new girl"
Shreshta says, her eyes on television. This woman and her love towards movies is going to be the death of me.
"Who is she and how did they even meet?"
I ask, stuffing popcorn into my mouth.
"She is a doctor, I guess. When mom went to get her joints checked, she saw my potential bhabhi"
Shresta says, chuckling.
"Oh hello, she isn't potential anything. Shut up and watch warna I am not making an appearance in your next reel"
I warn.
"Idiot" I hear her mutter.
"If mom has her way, she will be bhabhi tomorrow."

Ugh! That is true. If mom set her eyes on something, she won't sleep, peacefully, until it's done.

"I am just 29 yaar. Who will marry this early?"
I whine and that's the moment my mom decides to hear.
"Just 29? Just 29?"
She shouts.
Whoever said she isn't scary must really reconsider.
This woman is scary!

"I would have been playing with my grandbaby already if it wasn't for your I-am-too-young nonsense"

My heart suddenly drops to my stomach.
Marriage? Kids? Oh god, what has my life become!!?

"She looks beautiful. Much better than those who you were rumoured to be with"
She makes a face like the rumours offended her.

My family trusts me. They really do, I swear. But not when it comes to my dating life. I was fifteen years old when I lied about a girl to my mom and since then, I can only lie, according to her.

I haven't dated in a while. A long while but they just aren't ready to agree.
In their minds, I am a guy who no girl can say no to.
It's frustrating when you are single but your family keeps talking about your girlfriend.

And frankly, I am not against arranged marriages. Nope. My parents's marriage was one and they are happier than love-marriage couples. I grew up watching them and their ease with one another.
It never fails to set my heart at peace.

This was one of the major reasons as to why I am still single.
It's not easy to find a woman who can give you that sense of peace.

But that doesn't mean I am okay with getting married now.
I mean, marriage is scary. None of what you say can change my mind.
The problem with an arranged one is it's much difficult and scarier.

"Get dressed. We are meeting them"
My mom says, pulling me out of my thoughts.
"Today!?"
I would have felt a little embarassed with how squeaky my voice sounded now but I couldn't care less at this moment.

"Stop behaving like a five year old and get dressed. If not, I swear to god, Shreyas-"
My dad cuts off my mom with,
"Go, Shreyas"

In most of the households, mom is the pacifier and dad puts children in line but here, it's completely opposite.

"Fine. But if I don't like her, you won't force me" I say.
"You will like her" my mom grins.
"No the sentence I was looking for, ma" I deadpan.
"Fine, fine! Just meet her"
A resigning exhale leaves from her and I stare at her, dumbfounded.

How is it she thinks I am being unreasonable and not her?

If the team knows about this setup, they are going to have a field day with me.
Don't get me started on media.
That's going to be a nightmare.