chapter 18 - 1954

Start from the beginning

"Whatever you say, darlin'.", I heard him sigh, making me glance his way. "How long should I let this stay on for?", Elvis pointed at his hair, changing topic.

"Half an hour? I ain't got no clue.", I shrugged and moved the small container away, washing my hands with soap.

"Thanks, honey. Ain't got no clue how I would've done that without ya.", his words made me roll my eyes.

Elvis stood up and moved to stand behind me, his eyes on the mirror.

I sighed. "Why'd you dye it in the first place?", I turned around and leaned against the sink, my arms crossed on my chest.

"I was a blonde and a brunette. Figured I'd try something new.", he said with a teasing smile, making me laugh.

"I can't believe I never caught a glimpse of brunette Elvis.", I said softly, his brows furrowed in confusion.

"Yes you have.", he insisted, but I shook my head.

"You were blonde when we were kids and then... Well, you know.", I trailed off, hoping he'd know what I was trying to say.

"You could've seen brunette me if that son of a bitch hadn't taken ya away.", Elvis snapped, making my lips part. "Don't go and tell me he ain't deserving to be called that."

I cleared my throat and smoothed out my dress. "I wasn't gonna say that, E. What he did wasn't right and I understand you're still hurting.", my hand found his cheek, my thumb softly moving in comfort. "I'm still hurting too.", I murmured, my hand lingering on his soft skin and my eyes dropping to his lips.

I felt his warm breath hitting my hand and as I was about to move it away, he put his own hand over mine. "He won't take you away again.", he said firmly. "I won't let him, baby.", the emotion in his voice made my eyes glisten with unwanted tears. Elvis gently took my hand and kissed the back of it.

"Okay.", I said, clearing my throat. "Before I start crying I gotta go get ready.", I slipped my hand away from his touch and brushed my tears away. Elvis smiled sweetly at me and I swore that even his own eyes were struggling to keep his tears at bay.

"Right. I'll, uh, grab a shower and we can go?", I nodded at his question and pushed myself off the sink, heading out. I stopped in my tracks and turned around.

"Where are we going again?", I asked with a raised eyebrow. Elvis brushed one stray curl away and looked at me through the mirror.

"Told ya, honey. To write a song.", he winked at me.

_____________

"Since when are we driving to the park, Elvis?", I asked and looked at my right, catching the glimpse of the park I had just mentioned. "Ah, of course we passed it. Elvis, where the hell are you taking me?", he laughed at the exasperating tone in my voice.

"Don't you worry, honey. We are gonna write a song, I promise.", he insisted, his words made me sigh as I leaned against the window and let my eyes linger on the passing view.

Five minutes later, Elvis parked his truck and hopped off quickly, moving to my side. He opened the door for me and extended his hand, wanting to help me out. I rolled my eyes as a small smile played on my lips and let my hand slip in his.

"Totally unnecessary, Mr Presley.", I let him know, but he smiled, winking at me.

"On the contrary, Miss Martin.", my hand slipped away from his, yet his touch lingered on my lower back. "I love doing unnecessary things for you.", his words made me laugh, though I had a feeling they held some truth in them. My eyes wandered around and I immediately recognized the place we were standing in front of.