Chapter Sixteen „ Good News „

"Guys, there's a letter for us," Leon shouted as he got the newspaper out of the mailbox the next morning. There was also a yellow letter between the newspaper with the words Police Department written on it in large letters. He put the letter on the table and waited until the rest came to the table. "Is that the letter from the prosecutor?" asked Tony. Leon nodded. Daniel also came to your kitchen. He was back from his parents, who lived in Cologne. He watched with interest as Leon opened the letter and then read it out loud.

You were right, it was a letter from the public prosecutor. "That's probably a misunderstanding!" said Tony after Leon had read the letter. The letter first listed all the crimes and then set a court date. "Guys in a week on Monday at 3:00 p.m. we have an appointment at the district court," said Leon. Everyone nodded silently and there was a brief moment of silence. "Does it say who is invited?" asked Daniel Leon. He briefly looked for the names listed on the letter and then nodded. He replied, "So everyone from the shared apartment is listed, except Tony."I'm sure they got a letter too. Even if we were only the only ones who were with the police so far."

Shortly after he said this, the phone rang and Daniel answered it. On the best end of the line was a rather annoyed Mike. He was upset about what had happened. About the letter he also received and the fact that the police didn't trust them.
"What do we say then?" Mike asked when he arrived at the four boys' apartment about an hour later. "What do I know what we'll say then. Do you have an idea?" asked Daniel. "Yes, what we always say. We simply tell the truth. And the truth is that we are simply doing something for society," Leon replied. "Yes, exactly, and if they don't understand that and we get a fine, then we won't pay it. I'm not spending my money on that. "That's why others found their peace," said Mike. " Yes, exactly. An idea came to me yesterday. How about we ask homeless people if they can come to me? They will definitely work for it. What do you think about that?" asked Leon and looked around. He didn't really get approval for it.

That afternoon the wind picked up and it started to rain. I was sitting at one of Mr. Shannon's desks and was in the middle of writing an article about something that was just emerging on the streets of Berlin. Car tires have been getting slashed a lot lately. Just really annoying, I thought to myself when I thought about it for a while. If you really think about it, dad isn't particularly nice or friendly towards people, but it's certainly a step in a different direction. A better direction at least. The reason for this was that people didn't particularly like the fact that the streets were so full and so they had to think of something to do. Lately I've been increasingly aware of car parades that drive you around the city and block all the streets.
In my opinion, everyone should only ride a bike or scooter. There shouldn't be any more cars in a city like this. It's just not very good if everyone drove a car. Instead, you should think more environmentally consciously. At least they should start with small things. Maybe that would do something too. They shouldn't be as tough as climate activists or something like that.
For a moment I found my thoughts a bit strange because I had never thought like that. I had the feeling that Leon and the rest were not completely uninvolved in what I thought and how I thought.

Mr. Shannon was sitting outside in his office. He had assigned me a separate room. This consisted of a desk which was a little older and another smaller table. You could put documents and other small things there like a teapot. There was just nothing for me, for the one reason that I never drank tea or anything like that.

For lunch, Mr. Shannon ordered two pizzas for us. He said he was pretty happy that we were supporting him. He was extremely happy. I spent the rest of the day writing another report about all the subways. The topic wasn't particularly exciting but it was enough for me. Because this was new for me too, even though we had something like that in Cologne too. In Berlin it was something completely different. There were many more routes and different stops. Every morning when I went somewhere in the city I could see it myself on the big signs that hung at the entrances to the train stations.

I had the next day off. I actually wanted to go to the local park with the others but they said that they had received a letter from the public prosecutor's office. I spontaneously decided to go by Leon and the rest and see for myself.
It was true that Leon and the rest of the shared apartment had received a letter and that a court date had already been agreed in the letter. I read the letter and realized that it was actually real. "And what do you think of the letter?" asked Leon when he saw that I was a bit surprised. "Well, what can I say about that. "It's just not the truth," I answered him. "You see, Leon, what did I say. This is all a very stupid thing," someone shouted from the kitchen. It was Mike. Even if he lived on a different street and in a different shared apartment, he was almost always with Leon in his shared apartment. At least he was always there when I got there. "Do you want to come with me?" Leon asked after a while. I did not know what to say. Should I just say I'd like to come or what should I say? I had no idea. I shrugged my shoulder, which Leon only responded with a quiet cough. "It would be good if Matt would come with me. Think about it, he would be the first one we recruited. That would show that it would make sense to be allowed to expand this further." said Daniel and came back into the living room from the kitchen with a glass of water. "Yes, that could be true, but I'm not sure how well you feel about it. Just remember that you really weren't there very often. Not that you will be reported either," said Leon. I don't think I would be reported, I wanted to say, but I was very unsure. "It could be that everything will be quite easy once we get to the district court," Leon added. "Only you believe that. Think about what can happen. I'll put it this way: the officials always find something that speaks against us. No matter what it is. In the end we are the victims and the ones who have to pay. Anyway, I don't have any money. So we just do it so that those who know the topic best go there," said Daniel. "Yes, that's possible, but we can't do it like that. Because the letter said exactly who should come to court and who would nod. You can only join us as a spectator. But you're not allowed to talk," said Leon. "Yes, well then. Almost everyone is on the list except Tony, but he was never included," Leon continued. I nodded and decided that I would just come along as a spectator. Before I could ask another question, however, there was a wild knock on the front door. Daniel was startled for a moment and then opened the door.