Chapter 5 - Lullaby

Start from the beginning

"Never mind what the wizard says. I'll already have enough to deal with if your brother decides to come. The last thing we need is something that slows us down," Thorin said, in a low voice. She scoffed.

"You know nothing about me," Blair replied, matching his tone. Thorin studied her face. He suddenly noticed their proximity and his eyes unknowing fell down to her lips. "I will help you and your kin. If you can't accept that, then just think of it as something I'm doing for Gandalf," she smiled. Thorin quickly looked up and straightened.

"Fine. But know this," he said, pausing. "I will not be responsible for you or your brother's fate." With that, he walked out of the room, not sparing her a second glance. She scrunched her nose and forced down another scoff. I say I want to help him and his kin, and that's his response? She thought. She immediately regretted her previous thoughts of admiration towards him. Taking the mug of tea, she carried it to Bilbo, who had just sat up.

"You okay?" Blair asked, handing him the cup. He looked up at her and then into the fire.

"I'm fine, just let me sit quietly for a moment," he replied.

"You've been sitting quietly for far too long!" Gandalf scolded from behind Blair. "Since when did doilies and your mother's dishes become so important to you?" Gandalf asked. Blair sat on the footstool by the chair, watching the comforting flames of the fireplace. "I remember a hobbit who wanted nothing more than to see what was on the borders of the Shire."

Bilbo sighed and leaned his head back. "I can't just go running off into the blue. Blair, as well. I am a Baggins, of Bag end." Gandalf looked down at Blair.

"I believe your dear sister is thinking something entirely different," he said. Bilbo whipped his head towards her and leaned forward.

"Blair, what?" He asked. She avoided eye contact and continued to stare at the fire.

"Bilbo, we've always helped people in the Shire when they've needed it. This isn't much different," she convinced, unsuccessfully. He gave her a blank stare.

"Except it is! You read that contract," he paused before turning to Gandalf. "Can you promise that we'll both come back?"

Gandalf lowered his head. "No," he said. "And if you do, you'll never be the same." Bilbo sighed.

"That's what I thought," he replied, getting up. "Sorry, Gandalf. I can't sign that." With that, he walked away to his room. Blair watched as he walked away.

"Blair, you must do something for me," Gandalf whispered, coming down to her eye level. She nodded for him to continue. "The dwarves and I will leave rather early in the morning. Promise me you and Bilbo will follow us down the path past the Green Dragon."

"But-" she began before Gandalf interrupted.
"Only you can convince him now. I have done my part and I know well in my heart you are in no need of convincing," he smiled at her. She gave him a small smile back.

"I have read much about wizards. I came to my brother's house this evening with a book full of questions to ask you. Yet somehow in our few hours of meeting, I feel as though you have answered all of them," she said, continuing to smile. He gave a small laugh as he walked towards the door, taking out his pipe.
Around the corner, Thorin and Balin had just watched as Bilbo darted into his room. "It seems we have lost one of our burglars," Balin sighed. "Probably for the best. The odds were always against us. What are we? Merchants, miners, tinkerers, toy makers," he said.

"Hardly the stuff of legend."

"There are still a few warriors amongst us," Thorin reminded him. Balin gave him a look.
"Old warriors."

"Still, I would every one of these dwarves over and army from the Iron Hills. For when I called upon them, they answered. Loyalty. Honor. A willing heart. I can ask no more than that," Thorin said, whispering the last part.
"You don't have to do this. You have a choice. You have done honorably by our people. You have built a new life for us in the Blue Mountains. A life of peace and plenty. A life that is worth more than all the gold in Erebor," Balin said. Thorin held up the large gray key.

"From my grandfather to my father, this has come to me. They dreamt of the day when the dwarves of Erebor would reclaim their homeland. There is no choice, Balin," he concluded. "Not for me."

Blair listened to all this from the other room, curiously. She felt a sudden pain of sadness for the dwarves. Blair couldn't imagine The Shire being taken away from her and everything she loved gone. Suddenly, she heard a low harmony of humming coming from the living room. Blair immediately got up as if drawn by the hums which slowly turned into lyrics. She came upon the dwarves gathered around the fire, some holding pipes, some sitting, some standing, but all of them had the exact same expression on their face. The expression of loss and hope. She sat down in a chair near the room, but dared not go in for fear of being disrespectful. Her head leaned back and her eye lids became droopy, the song becoming a lullaby for her tiredness.

Far over the Misty Mountain's cold
Through dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long, forgotten gold . . .