Chapter Twenty-Four - Years Gone By

Astrid's POV:

Seven years later

I stood on the edge of the cliff, my eyes scanning the horizon as the sun began to set. It's been years since Hiccup and I got married. We since had two children, Zephyr who was now seven being our oldest and Nuffink who is about to be four.

Dragons soared through the sky, their colorful scales shimmering in the fading light. They had become a part of our everyday life here on the island, finally living in harmoniously with the people of Berk. The bond between viking and Dragon had grown stronger with each passing year, causing me to feel a sense of pride for what Hiccup and myself had accomplished as a team. Something seen as the impossible continued to unfold in front of our eyes.

"There you are!" Hiccup called out as he made his way up the cliff to stand by my side, "I was wondering where you had went off to!"

"Oh you know, watching the races what else." I responded, my eyes looking out at the race unfolding beneath us.

"I'm still in shock with how far we've come..." He whispered, his voice in awe as he sat beside me looking out at the horizon where the sky meets the sea.

I turned to face him, a smile tugging at the corner of my lips. "It truly is incredible. I never could imagine this when we were back at the sanctuary..." I took a deep breath as I looked back out at the island below, "We've created something special here, Hiccup. You created something special..."

My focus shifted back to Hiccup as he nodded. His focus still looking out at the horizon as he responded. "But it's not just about what we've accomplished. It's about the future of Berk, the future of our children."

The smile on my face began to fade as I sensed the worry in his voice. I knew what he was referring to. For years we've heard stories of other villages in far off lands who heard our story and disapproved, but nothing came out of it. However, recently we've heard rumors from people who had boarded our land to trade discussing plans they've heard to take over Berk and kill off everything we worked so hard for. It was something we kept to ourselves, only sharing with a few of us here on Berk.

"What are you thinking?" I asked, trying to comfort him in his worry with an arm around his side.

He hesitated for a moment before his gaze finally met mine. "I can't help but think about the opportunities we had. The ones I had when I left Berk. It shaped me, showed me who I was meant to be and opened my eyes to the possibilities all around us. The thought of us denying our children that same opportunity feels so wrong...."

"And I get that..." I said, cautiously choosing my next words. "But we can't deny the truth. Berk is their home, our home. And right now it's the safest place for them. We can't risk their lives by sending them out into the world, at least not right now. The world isn't ready for Dragons and Vikings to coexist peacefully. Keeping to ourselves as much as possible is the only way, for now..."

"I'm not disagreeing on their safety. I understand it for now." He sighed. "But it is our duty to prepare them, and when they are old enough they should be able to make those decisions for themselves just as I did. Hell just as you did..."

I leaned my head on his shoulder and squeezed his hand. We were in this together, just as we always been. Berk may have changed over the years and continue to change but we'll ensure that our children are safe at the end of the day. The sun finally dipped below the horizon, casting a faded warm glow over the island and the oceans below.

-

Later that evening, the Great Hall was filled with tension as myself, Hiccup, Val and Gobber discussed the recent threats to our land and Dragons. Our focus turned to Gobber as his voice filled the Hall with determination.