Chapter Twenty-Two - The End of A New Beginning

Hiccup's POV:

Everything felt cold. My body stiff from a blast that came too fast for myself or Toothless to react. I could feel his scales wrapped around me, his breath growing within the tight space.

I knew we weren't dead, but the possibility no longer felt unpleasant.

Astrid was safe wherever she may be with Eret and the Deadly Nadder. If Eret was smart he'd leave the island before dawn. The thought of her escaping this chaotic war that was arising caused a tear to roll down my face. I allowed my eyes to shut, trying to block out Toothless as he continued to roar over and over again.

My ears rang for some time before I saw a light coming from the corner of my eyes. With my eyes still shut tight, I began to mentally step closer into the light, it felt as if the gods have called upon me ready to take me into the walls of Valhalla.

"Hiccup!" I heard a familiar voice call out.

It was the same voice I heard in a dream, I knew not who it was and yet I felt as if I knew everything about her. The small brunette figure emerged from mists, once again reaching out for my hand.

"It's you again..."

Her hair was long and put up in a braid, one considerably similar to how Astrid wore  hers growing up. My eyes scanned over her blurred face trying to decipher the small details that began to poking through. I caught a glimpse of her ocean blue eyes before the details began to blur once again.

"You're her..." I muttered softly, my hand mentally reaching out. "How is this even possible..?"

"She's strong and you seemed to need some assistance along the way." The little girl replied softly.

"Will you remember any of this?" I asked, "I mean are you, you know, here yet?"

I could see her blurred face turn into a smile before she responded, "The gods work in mysterious ways don't they?"

"I'm sorry i'll never get the chance to meet you." I took a deep breath before speaking again, "there is so much I want to say and I feel like I don't have much time..."

"You have more time than you think. This isn't over, just open your eyes and see for yourself."

"But what about you?" I asked hesitantly.

"I'm connected to you, Hiccup. Put an end to this war before more lives are taken."

I let out a gasps for air as a blast seemed to awake me from my conscious.

My eyes adjusted to the sudden burst of light, scanning my surroundings where I was moments ago on the island of Berk. Drago stood on the Alpha in shock, watching as Toothless let out a screech of a roar. His voice echoing throughout the sky and ringing through my ears.

Before Drago or the Alpha could react Toothless was on top of rubble that sat on the destroyed island shooting back at them. Villagers gather around to watch, including myself, as the other dragons that filled the sky seemed to shake their way of the trance and making their way by Toothless' side.

"What's happening?!" I yelled out to my mother who was helping me off the ground.

"He's protecting you..." She whispered.

"The Alpha protects them all!!!" Gobber cheered from behind us.

My eyes widened before I gazed back over at Toothless who was looking back at me. His gesture nodding me over to his side, to which I follow before climbing on his back. Loud blasts can be felt and heard from above as the previously captured dragons began to fight back at the Alpha and Drago. Their hold no longer affecting them.