Chapter Twenty-One - The Fight Continues

Astrid's POV:

It's been hours since I've spoken to Hiccup, I didn't expect him to understand. He spent his whole life running from his life on Berk while I on the other hand spent my entire life preparing to protect it, yet here I was sitting at Valka's house with Gobber and Val trying to come up with a plan with how to save our island and the dragons.

"I never thought I'd see a day where we'd try to not only save the island but the dragons that once tormented it..." Gobber said. His eyes focused on the papers that spread out in front of him as he tried to find blind spots on the mainland for possible advantage points.

"It's been a long journey for us to get to this point," Valka replied softly, standing over the table reviewing the notes as she looked back at him. "Let's just hope it's not all for nothing..."

"It can't be." I replied sternly. "We've come too far to fail now."

I could feel their focus shift back to me without even having to look. Their eyes felt like a heavy weight on my shoulders that I just wanted to set free. All the lives on Berk and the dragons in Drago's hold seemed to be in my hands.

"I'm sorry about Hiccup." Valka finally said as her eyes shifted off of me. "He means well."

"I know he does," I replied without looking up. "I don't regret anything, I think he's missing the point. I was raised to be Chief, to protect our own." I sighed as I sat back within my seat before continuing, "No one can blame me for wondering if I had done things differently if we would be in a different position right now."

Gobber and Val nodded as I spoke. I could tell they understood, they grew up in this life. Hiccup on the other hand turned away from it at a young age. 

Before I could get lost anymore in thought Valka grabbed my hand and helped me stand up. We haven't known each other long but she can sense when I need fresh air, space from reality, and for that I was eternally grateful for.

She pulled the front door open exposing the outside air, a cold breeze quickly brushing in as it caressed my cheek. We made our way outside, Valka patiently matching my pace as we walked. Silence seemed to fill in between us with each step we took, taking in the sight of our island and the people who resided on it.

I watched as all the capable men and woman prepared for battle, setting up blind spots and laying out weapons. Readying themselves for any sign of attack. My eyes closed as I prayed to the gods that they'd find us a way.

A scream from the east side of the island caught us off guard. My eyes bolted open as I traced the island and the nearby sea, finding a hoard of ships and dragons headed our way.

"It's time..." I whispered. "Everyone stand guard, prepare to fight!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. "Try to release hold of the alpha, it is our only chance to save the island!"

"Astrid!" Gobber yelled out from behind me. I  quickly spun to face him as he came closer. "We must get you somewhere safe, you can't fight today you know this."

"Gobber's right Astrid," Valka said grabbing my arm leading me away from the approaching threat. "We must get you out of here before it's too late!"

The whole island seemed to shake from beneath us, causing me to lose my balance. Valka rushed to catch me before I could fully fall onto the ground. The next thing I knew was everything felt wet, quickly followed by a sharp pain shot throughout my body causing me to let out a sharp scream.

"It's Drago!" Eret yelled as he ran, "He's got more dragons than I could count and more-" His sentence was cut off as he looked back at me, "Astrid you're really not the best at timing you know?!" He called out, running to my aid as he helped Valka get me further back onto the island.