"Good afternoon," Minnie May said to Anne, her voice small but sincere.

As the attention turned to Lydia, she felt a bead of sweat form on her brow. All eyes were on her, and she sensed the weight of expectation settling over her shoulders.

"Good afternoon," Lydia managed to say, her voice wavering slightly with nerves.

"Afternoon," Anne responded quietly, her demeanor reserved but polite.

Mrs. Barry's gaze lingered on Anne, her eyes betraying a hint of judgment that did not go unnoticed by Lydia. Sensing the tension, Miss Cuthbert offered a somewhat awkward expression of gratitude.

"Thank you for having us, Eliza," Miss Cuthbert said, her tone tinged with a formality.

"Marilla, Anne, please come in," Mrs. Barry invited, her voice warm despite the subtle tension in the air.

With a nod of acknowledgment, Mrs. Barry led the way, Miss. Cuthbert followed after her. Diana and Minnie May trailed behind after the two older females, eager to explore the familiar surroundings.

Meanwhile, Lydia lingered, waiting for Anne to catch up. Leaning in close, she whispered excitedly into her friend's ear.

"You have to see all the sweets they have," Lydia urged, her voice filled with anticipation.

Anne's eyes widened in surprise at the suggestion, a grin spreading across her face as she realized the potential for indulgence awaiting them. Caught up in the shared excitement, they exchanged a conspiratorial giggle before joining the others inside.

-+-

As they trod softly on the forest's earthen path, with the rustle of leaves and the distant chirp of birds enveloping them, an air of unease clung to Lydia. Anne, her dear friend from days filled with longing and dreams whispered in the quiet of an orphanage, seemed lost in her world. She spoke to Lydia, yes, but to others, she remained an enigma, her words as rare as rain in a drought.

The silence stretched between them, a delicate thread ready to snap, until Diana, with the grace of one accustomed to weaving harmony, sought to bridge the gap.

"I don't believe you said two words during tea but for Lydia," Diana observed, her voice laced with concern as she turned to Anne. "You didn't even remark on the cake."

Her gaze then shifted to Lydia, as if seeking an ally in this gentle confrontation. Lydia caught in the middle of a moment she had not anticipated, could only offer a helpless shrug, her heart aching for Anne's silence to break.

"Mother let me and Lydia help her bake it special," Diana pressed on, her words tinged with hope. "You enjoyed it, didn't you?"

Finally, Anne's gaze lifted, meeting Diana's, and in that moment, a bridge was built. "The cake was scrumptious," she said, her voice soft yet sincere.

Lydia's heart swelled with relief at Anne's words. A smile found its way to her lips, and a silent thank you to the skies for this small yet significant victory.

"Scrumptious?" Diana repeated, the word lingering in the air like a new melody, her curiosity piqued by Anne's choice of words.

However, swept up in the moment, Diana's next question tumbled out thoughtlessly. "Have you always been shy, or does it come from being an orphan?" she asked, her voice laced with innocent inquiry yet heavy with implication.

Lydia's response was immediate and sharp, a protective reflex born of friendship and understanding. "Diana!" she exclaimed, her tone a mix of shock and reprimand. "That is very rude."