I break away and, after seeing his slightly swollen lips, peck him. I run my fingers through his hair.

"I'm just tired," I whisper, "Tired of not being able to have the things I want. So I stopped getting in my own way."

He grins, so happy. "I thought so."

I chuckle. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," He parrots, "I could probably show you exactly which letter you decided this, too."

I laugh. "You probably could, psycho."

"You like my psychotic tendencies," He throws back.

"Mm," I hum, "I suppose I do."

Splashing behind me catches my attention and I watch as a pod of dolphins play in the water far, far below. I glance at Ryle and he's watching the dolphins like he's never seen them before.

"Have you never seen a dolphin?" I ask.

He looks at me before looking back at the sea. "I can't say that I have."

I stand up before offering my hands to help him up. He takes them and we approach the cliff's edge. He pulls me back when I get too close for his liking, holding me against him at my waist. He watches the dolphins and I watch him. He has this almost childlike wonder as he gapes at them. He points when a few jump out of the water and then meets my gaze.

"What?"

I shake my head. "Nothing."

We both turn our attention to the sea creatures.

"I live inland, Wren," He playfully reminds me, "You're used to this because you live in a coastal kingdom."

I chuckle. "I haven't said anything, you don't have to defend yourself, Ryle."

"I can feel your judgement," He mumbles, resting his head on top of mine.

"It's not judgement, I'm just observing you," I insist through laughs.

We stand there and we watch the dolphins that are blissfully unaware of the two humans enjoying their existence. As I stare, I think about how wonderful their lives must be. They only worry about their basic necessities. The problems they have are the same as every other day and so they require the same solutions. Uncomplicated. A life full of simplicity. I've always wondered what that would be like. To not have the weight of a kingdom on my shoulders. To not have millions of eyes watching my every move. To not have to worry about an entire population's wellbeing. To only have to think about school and my family and no one else. And then I wonder who Ryle would be if he wasn't a King. How we might have met and if the night had gone differently. How easy we could be and how no one would bat an eye at how happy we are. But it's silly to think about these things, foolish, even. A waste of my time to imagine an impossible world.

"What're you thinking about?"

Ryle's voice pulls me from my thoughts. I blink before glancing at him and then back at the water.

"If things were different," I admit, "What we would be like if we only had to worry about our own wellbeing, not entire kingdoms."

"And that makes you sad?"

I shrug. "Just makes me long for something impossible."

"It's not impossible," He tells me.

"I know but I can't leave and neither can you."

"Can't we?"

I look at him, my brows pinched together. "You want to run away?"

He shrugs. "I wouldn't be opposed."