Ch. 9 Kayce

Ch. 9 Kayce:

My head snapped over to Noah, "What?" I asked; Trent hadn't told me that he was going to be leaving pack territory.

I reached out to him: Trent? 

I couldn't even feel his link.

"I'm going to send out some people to look for - " I started to say before somebody started yelling in my mind:

Alpha! Alpha! 

It was Trent?

Yeah, I'm here. Where were you should be the real question, I responded, why did you leave pack borders??

He struggled in responding, as if he was running at a great speed, I'm almost back to the pack house meet me on the lawn.

"He's on his way back and wants us to meet him on the front lawn," I told them while gently sliding Arlet off of my lap.

Noah was the first one to the door, obviously worried about his mate, followed by me with my arm securely around Arlet, and ending with Carter. Carter had just closed the door when I saw Trent's brown wolf rocketing into the clearing. He shifted halfway back to the pack house and I felt Arlet stiffen before he was able to put his pants on - I would need to have a discussion with Trent about that. Noah was in his arms by the time he reached us, fretting over him like a mother would her children.

His eyes looked over to my side and I saw them soften, "You must be Arlet," he said holding his hand out which she took.

"Umm, yeah," I felt her nervousness as she responded.

Trent was a big guy.

"So where were you?" I asked him.

He took a breath, "Well, I was on my morning run when I caught the scent of a rouge, so I started following it. I found him creeping around on our southwest border, but as soon as he saw me, he didn't stick around to fight like a normal rouge - it was especially surprising because he was pretty big - he just turned tail and ran. It was almost like he was scouting or something. I gave chase, but lost him a little way outside our border in the small gap between us and Blue Rise."

My mind whirled; could Blue Rise be after us now too? 

"Kayce?" my little mate's voice sounded from beside me, "How long have you been Alpha?"

"I took over for my father when I turned twenty, so about five years - why?" I asked her.

Her brow furrowed, "Well then that can't be it."

I frowned at her, "What are you thinking?" It could be good to have an outside perspective.

"Well," she said, "Sunrise is being attacked for no obvious reason, and they are asking you for help. Now there is a rouge wolf here that seemed to be scouting so..."

I was following her reasoning, "So you thought that they might be after us?"

"Yeah, but that doesn't make sense either because there doesn't seem to be a reason for them to attack... unless you guys have some kind of hidden beef," she said.

I know it was a serious moment, but I had to bite my tongue to stop from laughing - she actually used the word beef.

Carter spoke linked me before I could respond, Kayce, your dad.

My heart dropped to my gut. Blue Rise's alpha, Alpha Maurice, had always been afraid of my dad, and now he is gone. Maurice could be trying to distract us... weaken us by drawing out our warriors. I bit my lip, not knowing what to do. I couldn't just pull the pack members I had sent over to Sunrise out - they were still being attacked and I had promised I would help.