Chapter 5 Continued...

Later that day, I had gone home to change into something a little more comfortable before I went out for dinner. As I walked into my bedroom, the soft scent of lavender filled the air, emanating from the scented candles I had lit earlier. I slipped out of my work clothes and into my favorite black trousers, feeling the smooth fabric against my skin. I paired it with a golden-brown ribbed sweater, its texture providing a cozy warmth. Grabbing my trench coat from the hook, I tossed it on, and it felt like I had on a weighted blanket.

I checked my watch for the time, the ticking sound filling the silence of the room. I still had thirty minutes to spare.

The restaurant was only fifteen minutes away, but with traffic, I could've easily been late if I got sidetracked, so with that in mind, I headed out.

I received a call from Maggie a few minutes into my drive.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Are you on your way?"

"Yeah, are you there already?"

"Almost. I reserved a table for us, by the way, so when you check in, use my name."

"Okay. I got it. I'll pay you back."

"Don't worry about it. Actually, don't worry about paying for anything tonight. It's all covered."

"What the hell are you talking about? I'm not letting you pay for everything. You know how high those prices are."

"Like I said, don't worry about it. I hope you dressed nice."

"I always dress nice. Even when I'm not trying to."

"Okay, good. Well, I'll see you in a bit."

"Okay. Bye." I hung up the call.

A wave of "offness" sent tingles throughout my body. I called it my bullshit senses. It was equivalent to Spidey's senses. Maggie was generous but generous enough to pay for everything at the five-star restaurant we were going to was straight ridiculous. Also, when she told me to dress nice. Since when was she worried about how I dressed?

I had a feeling she was setting me up for something. She probably brought one of her little friends to hook me up with.

"She ain't slick," I thought.

When I arrived, the host greeted me and guided me to Maggie's table, which offered a picturesque view of the bustling city below.

However, there was someone else there. Last time I checked, Maggie wasn't tall, with a clean-cut beard and curly brown hair. Maggie was also not a white man.

"Are you Elijah?" he asked, his voice filled with curiosity. I could hear the faint hum of people conversing in the background as I glanced at him.

"No, I'm not actually," I replied, my words accompanied by the sound of my footsteps as I turned away. Determined to leave, I could feel the cool air brushing against my skin as I made my way towards the exit.

Suddenly, a figure appeared in front of me, causing me to halt. "Where do you think you're going?" Maggie questioned.

Frustrated, I resumed walking, the sound of my footsteps echoing in my ears.

"Don't leave," she started. "Stay. Please," she begged as she struggled to keep up with me. "Just give him a chance. I promise I will never do this again."

Pausing to meet her gaze, I felt a mix of emotions swirling within me. "Maggie," I said, harder than I intended. "I just want to eat, drink, and sleep. My day was already stressful enough. The last thing I want to do is date. I have no interest in replacing my ex. What don't you understand? I'm done with love and everything involving it."

"Okay." Her eyes met mine. "I'm sorry. We can do your initial idea. Pizza and wine at your house."

"Now you're speaking my language."

So that was exactly what we did, and it was what I needed. It was what we both needed.

Maggie sipped her wine and exhaled.

"What's on your mind?" I asked.

"Just hoping I get the Channel Manager position."

"You don't think you will?"

"I don't know. It doesn't feel like it." She reached for the last pizza and then turned to me. "Do you want the last pizza?"

"Not gonna lie, yeah."

She pulled back. "Eat it. You bought it."

I grabbed the last slice. "But you will get it. You deserve it."

She smiled, her lips curving upward as a warm glow filled the room. "Thank you," she said, her voice gentle and appreciative. With a delicate motion, she swirled her wine in her glass, the deep red liquid creating a mesmerizing pattern as it moved. As we sat by the crackling fireplace, the flickering flames cast a soft glow. "How's the game going for you?"

"This stupid ass game isn't going anywhere, man," I replied, frustration lacing my words. The crackling fire seemed to intensify, mirroring my exasperation.

Her eyebrows furrowed in concern. "How come?"

"Chase isn't understanding the business. He wants to make some cutesy groundbreaking romance simulation, and all I'm trying to do is what Dean asked. Which is to make a terrible but good game."

Her eyes met mine. "Can you blame him, though? I'm surprised you even took the offer. You are always the one saying put your best foot forward."

A sigh escaped my lips as I took a sip of my wine, its rich flavor momentarily distracting me. "Yeah, well. I looked at the bigger picture. I don't wanna think too deeply into it, to be honest."

She leaned forward. "I think you should cut Chase some slack."

"Why can't he just listen to me? His company needs this opportunity more than me."

"Okay, but didn't you tell me you hated pushovers once before?"

I nodded. "Yeah," I admitted.

"Try to come to a middle ground. If you don't, no game will get done, and that's the worst-case scenario."

Her words resonated with me as I took another sip of my wine, feeling a sense of calm wash over me. "Yeah, you're right. I'll try to compromise with him on Monday."

"Good...Also I want to say sorry for earlier. I guess I was trying to deal with your problem to forget about my own."

"There's no hard feeling. I know you meant well. I just don't see myself being with anyone soon. Love isn't for me." I nudged her. "But that's why I have a best friend like you. You're all I need."

"Me and your hand," she said, nudging me back.

Her laughter filled the room, a melodic sound that echoed in my ears. The weight of our worries seemed to lift as we shared that moment, finding solace in each other's presence. It was exactly what we both needed that night.