Chapter 4

Chase

I was called into Ink's office as soon as I arrived at work. Despite already having an idea that it was about Elijah, I still had sweat trickling down my back.

"Please, have a seat," she said, her voice steady but firm.

I settled into the leather chair at the head of her polished desk, my hands resting anxiously in my lap.

Ink began, "I received a call from Evan, the representative from Game Spotlight. He informed me that your meeting with Elijah did not go as planned."

My heartbeat quickened, and I braced myself for the conversation ahead.

"Instead of jumping to conclusions, I would appreciate hearing your perspective on what happened last night."

Grateful for the opportunity to explain, I took a deep breath, trying to steady my nerves. "Elijah and I started with introducing ourselves, and from there, things went downhill. He already had low expectations from me because our company isn't as big as his. I tried to share my side of things about how I thought the game should go but, it seemed like there was no compromising, and whatever he said went."

"I see. That's pretty much what Evan told me." She sighed and leaned back in her chair with her arms crossed. "What do you think we should do then?"

"I don't know."

"If you cannot work with him, should we just pull out of the competition this year?"

"No!" I collected myself. "I mean no. This is a huge opportunity. I would hate to bring our studio down because I was too stubborn to work with someone with a different perspective. I can do this, please."

She smirked. "This is why I love you."

I smiled.

"Okay. You can continue to work with Elijah, but you know what you're getting into. He's pretty cut-throat."

"It's fine. I'll do what he wants. If that's what he wants, I'll do it. This project is bigger than me."

There was a knock at the door. "Hi," Fae said as she peeked her head inside. "I'm sorry. Were you guys in the middle of something?"

"Actually, we just finished up. What is it?"

"I was just letting you know that there's someone outside for you. He said his name is Gemini."

Ink shot up from her desk. "Seriously?" She grabbed her jacket. "I'll be right back." Without another word, Ink stormed out of her office. The sound of her hurried footsteps echoed in the hallway.

Fae, wearing an infectious grin, asked me to join her. Excitement tingled in the air as she led me to the window overlooking the office entrance.

There, standing beneath the blue sky, was Ink and Gemini. He held a bento box with a bouquet clasped in his hand.

"This is so cute!" Fae exclaimed, her voice filled with admiration and joy.

Ink's cheeks glowed a vibrant shade of crimson, a sight I had never witnessed before. Her body exuded a sense of ease, her eyes shimmering with delight. He captivated her.

"It is cute," I uttered.

I was so jealous. Why couldn't I have a guy bringing me food and flowers to work?

"What are you two looking at?" Mork asked from his computer.

"None of your business," Fae said as she winked at me.

You could hear Mork getting out of his seat and walking to the window we were looking out of.

When he joined us, Gemini planted a kiss on Ink's forehead.