Chapter 6

Chase

"We'll continue tomorrow. Go to sleep," Elijah texted.

"Goodnight."

He said nothing back, leaving me in a state of silence. I let out a sigh, the sound blending with the calming rhythm of raindrops gently tapping against the windowpane. The room felt dim, my tired eyes struggled to stay focused as I continued working.

In the midst of redrawing some characters, my pencil scratched against the paper, angrily scribbling out mistakes. Suddenly, my phone rang. When I saw who it was, my heart dropped into my stomach.

Why was Joel calling? I thought.

I knew I was better off without him, but I couldn't lie, it felt nice that he was calling.

I reached for my phone, my hand trembling as I answered.

"Hello."

Despite all the noise that was in the background, his voice stood out. "Hey, Chase. I need you," he whined with slurred words. "I'm at Mogi's Night Club. Can you come see me?"

"Yes. I'm coming now."

"Okay. Thank you. You're the best."

He hung up, and without another thought, I hurried outside. I had just enough money to last me for the rest of the week, but I needed to use some of that money for a cab to Joel. I skipped out on lunch before. I was going to be fine.

As I waited outside for my ride, I leaned against the cold brick wall, the rough texture grazing against my back. I went back to reading our old texts, the soft glow of my phone illuminating my face in the dimly lit street. They weren't much, but the words danced before my eyes, evoking a bittersweet nostalgia. It was nice to think that maybe, just maybe, those messages would lead to something more.

But what was I thinking? The realization hit me like a punch to the gut. It was pathetic to cling to such fragile hope. I was pathetic. After everything he had put me through, the lies, the heartache, I still believed in him. I still believed that I mattered, that I was a lingering thought in his mind.

Lost in my thoughts, the blaring sound of a horn startled me, pulling me back to reality. I looked up and saw the cab waiting by the curb. I hurried in, the scent of worn leather filling my nostrils. The driver navigated the streets with practiced ease, the rumble of the engine drowning out my racing thoughts.

As we neared the club, my anxiety grew. The anticipation gnawed at me, wondering if he was alright or if he had already moved on to someone else. The cab came to a stop, and I thanked the driver, my voice barely audible over the loud sounds coming from the club. I closed the door behind me, the loud thump echoing in my ears as I made my way towards the entrance.

Pulling out my phone, I dialed Joel's number. But before I could hit the call button, my eyes caught sight of him stumbling towards a group of rowdy guys. My heart skipped a beat, and I called out his name, my voice carrying through the chaotic atmosphere.

Suddenly, tension filled the air as one of the guys shoved Joel, their harsh words cutting through the music. The sound of their altercation rang in my ears, a mix of angry voices and shuffling footsteps. Fear and adrenaline coursed through my veins as I rushed towards them, the ground vibrating with each hurried step.

"Watch where the fuck you're going, asshole," one guy shouted, shoving Joel.

"Maybe if you lay off on the hair gel," he pointed at a girl, "that girl would lay you."

"The hell is wrong with you?"

Fearful for Joel's safety, I positioned myself between him and the aggressive stranger. "I'm so sorry," I pleaded, my voice trembling. "Please, don't hurt him. He's drunk."