Chapter 6 Continued...

There was a gentle knock at my door, breaking the silence of the room. As I opened the door, a wave of warmth washed over me as I saw my mom, dad, and my little brother, Bonus, standing there.

The familiar scent of my mom's perfume filled the air as she pulled me in a tight, comforting hug. "Hey, dear," my mom greeted.

"Hey, mom. It's so good to see you guys."

My dad gave me a pat on the back. "Good to see you too."

Bonus, with his head barely reaching my stomach, clung to my legs, his embrace both affectionate and earnest. His innocent voice filled the space. "'When are you coming back home?"

"This is my new home."

He pouted. "Your old one is better."

"Hey, Bonus, be nice," my mom snapped.

I laughed. "How about you show me what you have been working on? I heard you've been drawing too."

A spark of excitement ignited in Bonus's eyes. "Uh-huh. Uh-huh. I am almost as good as you." His wide grin illuminated the room as he tossed his backpack onto the couch and began rummaging for his tablet.

Meanwhile, the clinking sound of dishes being pulled from the cabinets resonated throughout my studio, signaling my mom's presence in the kitchen.

"You need help with anything?" I asked.

"No, you go sit and relax for once. I got it covered."

"I would've made something for you guys, but I wasn't sure if you guys were going to like it," I hesitated, the clattering of pots and pans echoing in the kitchen.

"Dear, I love to cook. You asking to help is offensive. Now go sit with your brother. Once your dad gets out of the bathroom, he's going to help me," she said, the sound of sizzling oil punctuating her words.

"Are you sure?" I reached for the rice, the warmth of the stove hitting my fingertips. "I can help."

She swiftly slapped my hand with a wooden spoon, the sharp sting going through my palm. "I said go sit with Bonus," she commanded, her voice firm.

I rubbed my hand, feeling the slight throbbing sensation, and reluctantly did as I was told. I just wanted to make sure that I had gathered all the right ingredients. Before they even arrived, I barely had any food in my fridge. Using the bit of money I had in my savings. I made sure every item I grabbed was right. If I missed something I was going to feel so bad.

"Look at this," Bonus exclaimed.

I settled beside my brother on the worn-out couch, its cushions flattened over time, offering little comfort. The faded fabric hinted at countless hours of use, its color dulled by the passage of time. As I sank into the seat, I could feel the uneven springs beneath, poking through the thin layer of padding.

"This is my favorite character," he said excitedly, gesturing to the drawing in front of me. The vibrant colors and intricate details brought him to life. "His nickname is Pursue. He's a super cool guy who does graphic designing for a living."

As he spoke, his fingers swiped through the digital gallery on his tablet, showcasing the evolution of Pursue's story. "One night, he was sleeping on his keyboard and knocked over his coffee on his computer. The doctors said that he should've been shocked to death, but he ends up getting superpowers. Those superpowers being the ability to draw out whatever he wants."

"Wow, you really thought this through, and your drawings are incredible."

He gave me the biggest grin. "And it's only been six months. Every time I see your art, I get motivated. Pursue is inspired by you if you haven't guessed by the name." He laughed.