Chapter 5

Elijah

After a long day at work and dealing with annoying people like Chase, I liked to go home to relax.

The perfect night for me was spent reclining on my cozy chair with the soft glow of a candle illuminating the room. In one hand, I held a delicate wine glass, the rich aroma of red wine filling the air. A captivating novel occupied the other hand titled, "Lucky Lonely." Its pages rustled with every turn. As I immersed myself in the story, the wind whistled through a crack in my window, which was more soothing than normal.

A faint knock interrupted my peace, causing me to set everything aside. Slipping my feet into my fluffy bunny slippers, I made my way towards the door, wondering who the hell could be at my door that late at night.

It was my dad.

As he entered, his footsteps echoed softly on the polished marble floor. "Hey, son," he greeted me. The bag he held swished in his hand, the sound of crinkling plastic filling the air. "Go ahead and return this," he said as he returned my gift.

The one for my momma's birthday. I took it, feeling the weight of my heavy heart. "She really didn't want the gift, huh?"

"I'm sorry."

I shrugged. "Her loss."

My dad's curiosity got the best of him as he stepped further into my apartment. "It's nice," he remarked, his eyes taking in the opulence that surrounded him. It was his first time at my new place. The soft couches beckoned with their plush cushions, the carefully placed paintings added a touch of elegance to the walls, and the black and golden decor exuded a sense of luxury.

"Thanks," I said, a warm feeling spreading through me as the words reached my ears. It was rare to hear praise like that.

"You weren't lying when you said you got a nice raise," he remarked, his nostrils twitching as he sniffed the pleasant scent of the candle in the air. The flame put a soft glow on his face.

"Was that all you came here for?"

He sighed. "Yeah, but I want you to know that your momma means well. Just think, would you take an expensive gift from her if you knew she needed the money?"

"I don't, though. Do you see this place? You see where I stay now. Maybe if you guys actually cared about supporting me and my career, you would've known that I'm more than well off now."

He sighed before a small smile appeared on his face. "I can see that," he admitted. "You're working on a game now, huh?" I couldn't help but smile, my excitement bubbling up. "I had seen something about it when I was looking you up."

He chuckled, the sound filling the room. "You and romance are gonna be an interesting duo."

Again, if my parents actually paid attention to anything that I had done, he would've known that romance was once a strong suit of mine. Not wanting to kill the mood, I laughed with him. "You don't think I can do it?" I asked a challenge in my tone.

He raised his hands in mock surrender, laughter still in his eyes. "I didn't say that. Just thinking about someone as cold as you making a romance game is a funny thought. I'm sorry if that's inappropriate."

I chuckled, joining in on his laughter. "It's not. You're fine." The room fell silent for a moment, and I could feel his gaze on me. It was as if he was truly seeing me, not just his struggling son. He saw my success, my popularity, my upcoming wealth, and my achievements.

"You keep doing what you're doing, son," he said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Leave a positive impact on this world. I'll be watching for that game."