Ch. 31 Unfit Parent

Start from the beginning

My mind raced with questions and fears. How serious was it? What happened to Saint? But I focused on staying composed. "I'll be there as soon as I can. Please, tell me where to find him."

Nurse Tina provided the necessary information, and I hung up the phone, my mind reeling. I turned to Melo's shop, realizing I had to leave immediately. But I couldn't just disappear without an explanation.

Rushing to find Melo, I interrupted him in the middle of managing the front.

"Melo, I need to talk to you. It's urgent," I blurted out, my mind still consumed by thoughts of Saint.

Melo glanced at me, sensing the urgency in my voice. "What's up?"

"I just got a call from the Children's Hospital. They said my son was admitted, and I need get up there ASAP," I explained quickly, the weight of the situation evident in my tone.

Melo's expression softened, understanding washing over his features. "Go, Sinn. Family comes first. We'll handle things here. Let me know if you need anything."

I nodded gratefully, as I rushed out of the shop, my mind solely focused on getting to Saint.

Doing something I hadn't done since a child I prayed during the whole car ride to the hospital. I prayed my son was ok that it  was just something minor.  Bursting through the hospital doors I sped past the overly long check in line luckily nurse Tina already provided me with Saints floor and room number so I headed straight to the elevator.

My heart almost beat out my chest upon entering his room seeing his tiny leg in a cast made me furious. Toya sat watching his chest rise and fall intensely not noticing my presence until I cleared my throat. When she turning her head towards me I noticed her black eye and a dark purple bruise on her arm.

"What happened to my son Latoya?" I sneered tears instantly poured from her eyes but she didn't speak.

Closing my eyes and counting to 10 in my head I tried to calm myself down knowing whatever came out of her mouth would send me over the edge.

"We got into a fight and then.."

"So ya bitch ass nigga put his hands on my fucking son?! You let that nigga put my child in a fucking hospital bed?!" I sneered at her through gritted teeth trying not to raise my voice and disturb Saints sleep.

She dropped her head down in defeat as she began to softly sob. I didn't care about her fake ass tears what type of mother allowed someone to harm her infant?

"I'm so sorry I didn't know he would hurt him. Sincere I would never put him in harms way-"

"EXCEPT YOU DID! HOW COME YOU NEVER KNOW SHIT TILL AFTER THE FACT TOYA?! DIDN'T KNOW IF YOU WANTED TO BE MARRIED, DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE PREGNANT, DIDN'T KNOW YOUR BOYFRIEND WAS ABUSIVE WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU KNOW?!" I yelled unable to keep my composure.

"Hi I'm nurse Tina is everything ok in here?" the white red head asked with concern

"No. Can you explain his injuries to me I'm his father" I sighed

"Saint has a fractured left leg according to mom he fell off his changing table..." she glanced at Latoya who refused to look at us. I could tell the nurse didn't believe that bullshit excuse.

After going over his medication list and follow up appointments with the nurse she asked me to step outside for a moment.

"Legally I shouldn't be having this conversation with you but I can tell you're a caring father. She's clearly being abused and so is your son if she thinks child services is going to fall for the ookie doke she's sadly mistaken.