Chapter 11: Wedding bells and flaming arrows

Id Nan had completed twenty-four jaunts around Inag Naba since the execution of Kabede’s five uncles and sixteen jaunts since the Kalkidan’s maiden flight. Mekonnen Yagebea Asfere and Yakuna Amlak arrived at Muska four days before the end of the seventy-second Akashian jaunt around Id Nan since the death of Tatawdem Girma Zagwe. It was on the fiftieth day after the cleaving of Ntswelengwe when Yakuna Amlak blessed the Shrine of Ancients with a pillar of marble with seven faces carved on it. After moving the pillar to a secluded corner in a garden overgrown with weeds and thorny vines.

The scarred monk told Yakuna Amlak and Mekonnen Yagebea Asfere how Tarik Berhane Nem Ahde aided by five mutinous commanders, who had been allies with the vile
and blasphemous Kabede Sium Zagwe, declared herself the queen mother after placing her son Amin Asaro Nem Ahde on the throne. The rumour was that Kabede’s failed attempt to take the crown from house Nem Ahde was the cause of the death of Emperor Menelik Berhane Nem Ahde and his spouse, Taitu Berhane Nem Ahde as well as the kidnapping of Princess Emebet Berhane Nem Ahde.

The tears that suddenly filled the monk’s right eye as he narrated a coup that took place about fifty days back, told Mekonnen that the unfortunate monk is an ally that can be trusted. He did not have to stay at the Shrine of Ancients even though his ecclesiastical brothers forsook their vows and left the shrine fearing chastisement from the new emperor, Amin Asaro Nem Ahde.

Tarik Berhane Nem Ahde and her dim-witted son Amin Asaro, accused emperor Menelik and empress Taitu of heresy and decreed that anyone still clinging to the faith of the Many-Faced God will be imprisoned for life. It is rumoured that the new queen mother tortures the poor souls found guilty of this heresy to reveal the secret location of the first temple precinct dedicated to the Many-Faced God.

Many ignorant Uluzians welcomed the queen mother’s decree, claiming that she will finally usher in a new era. An era where all heretics are no more. Most in the empire never thought that speaking against the crown could be a heresy. The monk told his two guests that he only evaded capture because most Uluz avoided Muska, as though a terrible contagion
shrouded it.

Since the last days of the warlocks, Muska has always been the den of the most ruthless scamps known to the Uluzian law keeper. Muska is the most lawless and cursed place on Akash.

“I only managed to survive the new empire’s grasp, because I did not fear the terrors that call this cursed hamlet home. My unwavering faith to the one with incalculable faces has protected me from the curses that live amongst the ruins and the ancient resting places of the warlocks. Those ruffians were the only ones who dared to disturb and desecrate this hallowed place. My tasty honey wine is the only reason they keep me alive.” said the mutilated monk as he offered his guest two drinking carafes filled with the wine.

“What of the concealed citadels of Inalubaj? Are they still hidden from the uninitiated?” Yakuna Amlak enquired.

“I would like to think so, since going to Inalubaj has become a crime punishable by death.” the monk replied.

Since the Uluz completely harvested Inalubaj’s meagre natural resources rendering Inalubaj inhospitable, travelling to Inalubaj was an endeavour undertaken by the extremely ascetic minds in the empire. However, since over a thousand centuries of technological advancements the Uluz have completely forgotten about their olden gods and their secrets.

Emperor Menelik’s father was the first to awaken the long dormant shapeshifting abilities. Yet, he kept it a secret after realising the risk it posed to his family. Most Uluz regard shapeshifting a heresy punishable by
death.

“We need to move the doorway at Ib Urni and this one to Inalubaj. We cannot afford to have Tarik and her son learn their secrets.” said Yakuna Amlak as he finished his honey wine.