Ch. 54: Isaac or the World

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry," Penny said. "I would have come sooner. It's just..."

Isaac looked away. "Ryne."

"Yeah."

"He's still angry," Isaac surmised.

Penny's gaze fell to her shoes. "I'm sure he'll get over it."

The lie hung in the air, heavy as the woodsmoke emanating from the fireplace. Isaac rose, and there was a stiffness to his posture, as if he hadn't properly stretched his muscles for days. "Did you need something?"

Camille braced herself. "You know something, don't you? Something that could help us." She glanced at Penny. "That's why we're here."

Isaac's face was wary. "I already told you, I can't—"

"Tell me," Camille finished. "I know. The faeries would have made sure of that. But you tried, didn't you?"

Isaac's gaze sharpened. "What do you mean?"

Her heart felt like a stone snatched up in a river, tumbling over itself in dizzying circles. "All those books you wanted me to read on God-Slayer. You were trying to tell me something, weren't you?"

Isaac gripped the back of a chair. "Camille."

Camille moved closer. "Do you trust me?"

"Yes," Isaac said, without hesitation.

"Good." Camille rolled up her sleeves. "Kneel down on the floor."

Isaac obeyed. He lowered his head as she approached; sweat beaded the back of his neck, and his eyelashes cast shadows across his cheekbones. For a terrible moment, Camille thought of the nightweavers that she'd seen executed, how they'd knelt before the silver axe, and her stomach clenched.

This wasn't that. This wouldn't be that.

"This is going to be quite painful," Camille warned.

Isaac gritted his teeth. "Do it."

Her hands shook. "And I'm out of practice."

"Camille." His voice was tense. "Whatever it is, just do it. Please."

"Penny?" Camille didn't want to risk glancing sideways. She might lose her nerve. "I'm going to need you to guide me. Look for any feelings of excitement or urgency. If we ask a question that triggers them, tell me."

Penny shifted closer. "What are you going to do?"

"Search his memories," Camille said.

Surprise laced Penny's voice. "Can you do that?"

Yes. No. Truthfully, Camille had no idea. She'd done something similar in the past with Dex Beauchamp, but she had no idea how it worked. It wasn't a skill that was taught to dayweavers; just a trick she'd developed when Brigid sent her to plant memories in people's minds. To plant those memories, she'd needed to see real memories.

But Camille had never tried to use the skill on purpose.

Not until now, anyway.

"I can try," Camille said.

Penny sighed. "Bloody hell." She shifted. "Go for it. I'm ready."

Camille placed her hands on Isaac's temples. Golden strands tumbled between them, wrapping around their bodies like a glittering bird cage. "Do you know something about God-Slayer that can help us?"

Isaac closed his eyes. Sweat beaded his forehead, and he flexed his scarred palm. The skin was raised and angry.

"Lots of pain," Penny offered. "Also desperation."