CHAPTER 8

As we walked to study hall, we made small talk. I got to know way more about Reith than I thought I would. He was kind, generous, and funny. His favorite color was blue which wasn’t very surprising, but he talked about how some of the calmest emotions are that color. He loved sweet treats, and enjoyed playing sports.

There was so much I learned about him just on the way over that I felt myself become even more drawn to him.

When we reached the library for study hall, we took a table in the back.

“So are you finally going to tell me why you were totally soaked? You haven't mentioned it at all and I have to say that I am curious.”

Startled, I continued to pull out my homework, but realized he deserved a little bit of an explanation.

“Well I just came from ability training, and lets just say there were a few mishaps.” I explained with a nervous giggle.

“I get that. When I first started using my ability I was a nervous wreck from feeling every emotion at once. I was crying and laughing at the same time!”

At that I let out a laugh. He looked at me with a grin on his face, and something about that made me flustered.

“I…uh…I need to do my homework for my magic history class” I looked down at my work hoping to hide my blushing face.

He laughed at my flustered state and started on his work. “You are almost too easy to embarrass Velleity.”

We worked through study hall pretty quietly until I got so frustrated because I couldn’t tell the difference between a gnome and a dwarf so he decided to help me. After that we were laughing again as we ‘studied’.

When my last class ended, I started heading back to my dorm. When I got there, I found Tallia laying on her bed looking through her phone.

“Hey” she said looking up at me

As I set my stuff down by my desk I asked, “Hey, I didn’t know phones worked here. My phone doesn’t get any service.”

“Oh yea. The Glis is like a phone, but way more sophisticated. It also has a different network than the humans so they don’t learn about our existence and all that. If you don’t have one, you can use my second one. I normally use it if mine is taken away, but I can wipe it for you.”

“Really? That would be so nice. I don’t know anything or have anything from your world.”

“Hey, it's not a problem. I hate being out of the loop. And I have other Glis backups.”

I giggled at how mischievous she was, and watched her reach into the back of her bedside drawer and pull out another Glis that had a beige case with a white flower on the back.

“I know this one is a little boring, but it is one of the newer versions and works great.”

“No! This is definitely my style.”

“Perfect. I’ll help you set it up and then we HAVE to set up an account for you on the Zip. Everyone is on there, and that's where you can find out almost everything.”

We ordered some food from a place Tallia said I had to try, and we spent the rest of the night setting my Glis up, decorating my side of the room, and getting me settled in. I think I might survive here.