Vanish

By the time the announcement was made, fewer people were spotted in the streets. They trickled away into their homes before the sun had officially set, not risking what lurked in the night. A thick layer of unease had covered the small town of Shiganshina and its citizens. Just when they thought the only thing, they had to fear was the Titans outside the walls, another monster was lurking within.

Another child had gone missing. No trace of them left behind, as though they simply never existed. This was now the fourth, a young boy this time. From the military police's understanding, there wasn't anything to connect the missing children. All different genders, ages, appearances, and social classes.

No bodies had been discovered in the last two months. Few had hope that meant the children were still alive. Others weren't so optimistic. There were many places to hide away within the walls. But also out of it. Most children wouldn't last outside the walls, not with the Titans.

The military police had notified the scouts to be on the lookout beyond the walls for any missing children. Eren highly doubted that there would be any, at least alive. It showed how desperate the military police were getting, asking the Garrison for help too. Despite all eyes and ears being on the watch, nothing stopped the disappearances. Not even the night patrol had deterred whoever was responsible.

The nights grew longer, fueled by a fear that had everyone gripped in its vice, determined not to let them rest until they caught whoever was responsible.

********

"How long's the supply run meant to be?".

"Probably around a week at most, maybe less," Mikasa answered. "Depends on what the situation out there is like". She nodded vaguely at the towering gates before them.

Eren followed her gaze towards the gates and walls surrounding them, similar to a cage. More like a prison in his eyes, rather than a haven. Each squad was sent out in rotations for supply runs. According to the higher-ups, it wasn't worth risking multiple members of the scouts for.

"Just stay safe out there. I know you'll be fine, just don't play the hero more than you have to".

"That's rich coming from you, Eren." She chuckled. "Make sure to visit Mom at some point too. She was asking about you the other week when you didn't show up".

"Yeah, I'll try Mika."

"You better."

She waved as she walked over to her squad. Her squad leader, Mike, nodded in her direction once she joined them and they all settled onto their horses before leaving outside the gates. He wasn't much of a believer in anything, if there was a god it was nothing but cruel to everyone within the walls. Despite that, he prayed for his sister's safe return.

********

Since the disappearances began almost two months ago, the scouts had joined the night patrols along with the Garrison and Military Police when they weren't actively participating in an expedition. However, they were stationed atop the walls, looking out for both titans and any suspicious activity from the city below.

Eren was stationed every third night, alongside Jean and Sasha. Sasha actively surveyed the city below along with Jean, while Eren watched for titans. It was a repetitive routine, enough to make anyone's eyes grow heavy. Jean and Sasha would normally be full of energy and providing enough entertainment for the long night, but tonight the moods had shifted to join the somber atmosphere below.

"What do you think is happening to those kids?". Sasha was nibbling on an overcooked piece of bread when she asked the question, not peeling her eyes away from below.