Gathering and Searching

For a few days John Dory made sure to take perfect care of Nettle, giving her medicine, making sure she ate and was as comfortable as possible. It didn’t take too long for Nettle to feel better and finally get out of her bed and get to work on her own tasks, John was happy to see her back outside and working on her usual daily tasks. Although, now John Dory found himself spending more time with her, both of them working together and collecting what they needed for that day.

The two had gotten closer and it's all that John could have ever asked for, well maybe he would like their relationship to be a lot closer than it currently was. But that was also another thing, he could actually say that he was in a relationship with Nettle. It was just a friendship and it meant so much for him, he would make a joke and she would laugh instead of roll her eyes, she would try to help him and JD wouldn’t feel like it had been forced out of politeness and even if he was always nervous around her he felt like he could be his real self around her.

Today the two had agreed to go out and gather berries, it was going pretty well, even though John tended to mess up and either grab an old berry or almost take a poisonous one. JD was searching through one of the bushes, grabbing berries and inspecting them before he dropped them off into his basket. Nettle was doing the same thing in another bush, looking at one of the berries with a small smile on her face and then leaving it in her basket. Just the sight of her made John’s tail wag, the troll went back to inspecting the berries in his hands and let out a frustrated growl before dropping them on the ground.

“Everything alright?” Nettle asked, clearly noticing his anger.

John took a few seconds until he finally let out his frustration “Most of the berries that I find are bad”

“I guess it isn’t really berry season” Nettle shrugged with a chuckle “Maybe try looking through another bush, no point in getting annoyed with a problem and try to solve it the same way when you can also find a different route to solve it”

Every time, Nettle found a way to impress John Dory, the troll blinked and smiled at her “Yeah, you’re right”

After taking his basket, John moved another bush, this one was a little bit closer to Nettle and she couldn’t help but notice “What, trying to steal the berries I’m getting?”

“W-what?” JD looked around frantically with a chuckle “No I’m not, I swear, just… guessing that this is the best place to grab berries”

“If you say so” Nettle shrugged, still smiling, her tail twitching from time to time while John’s wagged “Just don’t try to get your hands too close to my bush”

“I wouldn’t dream of it” John laughed as he rubbed the back of his head.

When the two finished filling their basket with berries they talked for a while before they each headed out and made their way back to their own homes, John smiled and hummed while his tail wagged as he made his way back to Rhonda. Maybe he could look through Rosiepuff’s book again and see if he could make a treat with the berries, then he could surprise Nettle with them and see if he could bring her wonderful smile back again.

A sigh escaped his lips as JD came to a stop and finally paid attention to his surroundings, he looked around and was shocked to see that Rhonda was nowhere nearby which didn’t make any sense because this was the area where they had been staying. Everything that John had left outside was still there, the only thing missing was Rhonda, John dropped his basket on the ground as he started frantically searching for Rhonda. He couldn’t find her, where could she have gone?! He had told her to stay in place like he always did! Or did he forget to tell her today?