The Bicycle Thief

"Good morning Gloria, where's dad?" I say while picking up an apple from the fruit basket on the counter. 

"Oh he just went to fix something with the fan in Manny's room." she replied, "you know we'll miss you right? Why do you have to go every Sunday."

"You know why Gloria but this week I'll be back earlier because of this robotics thing going on. Its going to be a nerd fest. Anyway, I'll be back by Wednesday evening or Thursday morning so maybe we can go shopping or something" I assured. And Gloria grinned happily. "I'll head out after meeting dad so, bye" 

"Bye Emily."

*** 

"You know you worry too much. Nobody's gonna get shocked."

"One time my dad was struck by lightning. That's why he can drink as much as he wants." I hear Manny say about his pathetic excuse of a father as I enter the room. Manny was holding the instructions while dad was on the floor holding his head with the fan parts in front of him.

"Hello, Emily." Manny said as he looked up from dad. I actually didn't mind Manny that much. Even though he moved into a better house with better people, he was still trying to fit in. Although he acted way ahead of his age, he never once put me through what I did to Mitch and Claire. (or still do)

"Hey Manny, hey dad. Thought I'd meet you before leaving. What are you guys up to?" I asked while sitting beside Manny as he replied "Nothing just Jay trying to kill us both."

"Oh you're going to be fine." dad turned towards me, "You're leaving already? At least wait till lunch."

"I would but I promised Tess I would pick her up so I have to leave a little early." I answered. 

"Okay then have a safe drive." dad said while waving me off.

*Interview POV*

"Gloria had made blood sausages." I said, "and as much as I love her, I would never put my face near that thing."

***

"Give me just a minute, I'll put my bags in the trunk and we'll be good to go." said Tessa.

Tessa Holland is a force of nature, unstoppable and unforgettable. You can not ignore her. Tessa is a year senior to me. She had failed a year in high school resulting in her being my dorm mate. new places give me anxiety but Tessa, she befriended anyone she saw, got invited to every party since day one, got drunk quite often. When I told her that she might catch a drinking problem and then her parents (they are quite strict.) would know, she said, 

"C'mon Em, as if you've never kept a secret."

The thing is, I have. I have kept a secret from everyone. I like men and I like women too especially Tessa Holland. I care about her, probably more than I should. In the two years I have known her, she has been nothing but a good friend and she'll never see me more because I'm pretty sure she's straight.

I never told my family because of dad. I know he loves and supports Mitchell but he still has an ick, you can see it in his face. He tries to hide it for Mitch's sake but I'm very observant. 

The sound of the car door opening brings me out of my thoughts. "Hey can we stop at a store on the way I'm kinda hungry."

"Sure, no problem." I say while starting the car.

***

The phone rang when Tessa had gone to the store and I was in the car. "Emily, do you have something important going on at college this week?"

"No, not really. Why?"

 "Forget college, Come back. We're going to Disneyland."

"Oh my god! I've always wanted to go there. Count me in. Why suddenly though?"

"Manny's dad a jerk head. Listen I gotta go, need to make some arrangements." He said as he disconnects the call.

I wait for a few more minutes till Tess comes back. "Hey do want to ditch college and go to Disneyland?" 

Thought?!?! Comments?!?!