"Prince Aiden, if you keep doing that the princess will misunderstand you. You see, the princess gave me these a while ago and asked me with a blushed adorable face—'Oh, my charismatic Captain~ please marry me!'—that's what she said and I wouldn't mind taking her away from you..."

The mixed feeling I had quickly vanished. I stared at Lucas with dead eyes while he spouted lies to Aiden. The captain childishly fluttered the paper and cloth that were from me over the prince's face.

"No!" The little prince pushed Lucas's hands with an angry pout. "I'm against this! I won't let you have my sister!"

Lucas withdrew while feigning sadness and spoke to me, "I apologize, princess. It seems you cannot have me."

Seeing Aiden's adorable pouts made me want to tease him. It was also a payback for making me run around just to catch him.

"How about we elope together, my dashing Captain?" I said, giving him wide, pleading eyes.

Lucas cracked a smile but suppressed his laughter by clearing his throat. "My sweet young maiden, you shouldn't speak of our plans in front of the prince. He did say he was against our love~"

I looked to Aiden, who was too stunned at what he was hearing, leaving his mouth hanging open.

"Whatever do you mean? The prince doesn't want to see me. He wouldn't mind if I go with you. Right, Prince Aiden?" I asked with an expectant smile but it quickly vanished.

I did not expect him to easily tear up. Maybe I went too far?

"Tha-that's not true!" He cried as he jumped to the side of his bed and hugged me. "I'm sorry, Elaine. Please.. Please don't leave me!"

As Aiden begged, Lucas quietly left us with a proud look on his face as if he had already done his part.

Oy! Where are you going? We both made the child cry!

I sighed inwardly, wondering how to make him stop crying. But isn't this a perfect time?

"But you're avoiding me. Why do such a thing if you don't want me to leave you?" I tried to pull away but he clung to me tightly. "Did I do something to make you mad?"

"Of course not! It's just..." His strong grip around me loosened as he shook his head. "You won't understand if I tell you."

Relief washed over me, realizing he had no lingering resentment. 

"I won't understand unless you tell me," I countered gently.

After a few seconds, Aiden reluctantly released me, tears visible on his cheeks. I remember the first day we met. He was just like this, hurt and crying.

"I..." he began, his voice trembling as he struggled to open up.

"It's alright. Take your time," I reassured him softly.

He lowered his gaze, his hands fidgeting in his lap.

"I'm mad at myself, Elaine. Mad because I couldn't protect you. I'm the crown prince, the future ruler of this powerful land of ours, but–but I'm just a weak scared boy who only knows is to cry while his sister was dying in front of him," Aiden confessed words were full of regret and self-condemnation. He looked up at me, his eyes swimming with tears and anguish. "Even in my dream, I'm still powerless. Every night I would dream of you—" He cast down his gaze once again as if he could no longer handle looking at me, "of the dead you."

All this time he had been enduring these all... The nightmares that continue to haunt him and the burdens not only by the weight of the crown but also the guilt and grief. He was just a child and yet he's facing it alone.