Chapter 1-3: Fraudulent Activities

In his room, Eldon is sitting on a chair, his gaze locked onto the computer screen

In his room, Eldon is sitting on a chair, his gaze locked onto the computer screen. The online marketplace displays the gig he posted, the ticking clock a constant reminder of the passing time. Behind him, Aure is sprawled on the bed, her attention divided between the nail file in her hand and Eldon in front of her.

"Do you genuinely believe this will be successful?" She asks.

"Why not?" He retorts, his eyes never leaving the screens.

"You're aware that video editing isn't a simple task, right? Even if you manage to edit a video in a day, which is highly unlikely, you'll only end up with 10 dollars. That's barely anything... It's not sufficient to sustain our household."

"Yeah? Then, what would you suggest I do instead?" He asks, swiveling around to face Aure.

"I'm not sure... Perhaps something more hands-on?" She suggests, a hint of nervousness creeping into her voice.

"Like...?"

"Like working in a restaurant or a retail store, perhaps."

"What?" He scoffs, his face contorting in annoyance. "You presume I will work those low-level jobs? Come on, elevate your perspective."

"If you don't want me to work and you don't want to work either, then what's your plan? You don't have any degrees. They won't let you work in any high-level jobs. Honestly, if you ask me, the best thing we can do here is for me to look for a job."

He pivots back towards his computer, saying, "No, you won't be working. I gave my word to your father that I would look after you. I will do whatever it takes to ease your life, Aure."

She looks at him, his words bringing a sense of satisfaction. Yet, despite his strong words, she can't shake off the uncertainty stemming from his lack of education. So, she asks, "May I suggest a better idea?"

"Yeah. what might that idea be?"

"What if... instead of going through all the trouble of finding a job and all, you just reach out to your dad?" She sets the nail file aside.

"Aure...?"

"Listen to me, Eldon. I know your relationship with your father isn't the best, but he could potentially help us. He owns that large bakery, right? I don't think you need any formal education to bake goods. Just give him a call once... Please." Her voice trembles.

Eldon exhales a sigh, standing up from his chair, mobile in his hand. He walks out of the room, saying, "Fine." The door slams shut behind him.

Eldon navigates through the living room, sliding open the large glass door beside the television, and steps onto the balcony. He dials his dad's number, waiting for the familiar voice to answer as the phone rings.

"Eldon, is that you?" his dad greets from the other side of the call.

"Hi, dad..." Eldon responds, nervously.