✧𝙽𝚘𝚊𝚑✧

It's not as easy as I hoped, having a quiet night in with a girl plus a kid under the same roof. I figured when Kiara told him to stay in his room because of our scary movie, it was our chance to hang out with just the two of us for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I love my son. I love hanging out with him with all three of us too. But...I don't know. Sometimes it's nice to be one on one. Like, if it were to be just me and him one on one time. Right now, I figured, would be Mom and Dad one on one time.

I was wrong.

For whatever reason, like halfway through our movie, Cameron got tired of whatever he was doing in his room. Naturally, he wandered out to come see what Mom and Dad were doing.

Mom and Dad were making out on the couch.

'Were' is the key word here, because Mom almost slapped Dad across the face the moment the creaky ass door sounded like a fucking alarm down the hall. Cameron was spared the traumatizing sight of seeing his parents making out like a couple of teenagers on the couch in the dark. Unfortunately, it came at a great price. He was going to get traumatized one way or another.

Cam still stands there, distractedly watching the tv. Before we can try to dismiss him again—because we already tried that—a terrifying looking lady jumps out at us on screen, grinning widely with disgusting yellow teeth and wide, black eyes. Cameron jumps at the initial scare, but continues to stand there wide eyed, staring at the tv.

He starts frowning deeply, unable to take his eyes off the screen while the lady screams at the top of her lungs and starts crawling on all fours after a young boy who looks a lot like Cameron now that I'm really looking.

"Cam," Kiara tries calling for him.

He looks like he's about to burst out crying as he looks her way, ignoring the still screaming lady. "We tried to warn you, Nut." I remind sympathetically. My sympathy only seems to make him lose it, because his bottom lip starts trembling and his eyes begin to well up with startled tears.

"Turn it off." Kiara nudges me as the little boy on screen starts screaming for his mom now. I reach over to do the obvious thing and turn the tv off completely. Problem is, I misinterpret her order to turn it off. When she says that, she means turn the movie off. Like, just press the home button. But I, instead, press the off one.

Leaving us in darkness as the tv shuts off. We shut all the lights off to give ourselves that movie theater effect.

Cameron starts whining pretty much immediately. "Ah, man." I whisper. Kiara scoffs at me, so I quickly get off the couch to find my way towards him through the dark. "OwFuck." I stub my toe on the coffee table on the way to him, but I ultimately make it and wrap my arms around him gently.

He hangs onto me while I scoop the poor kid up and find my way more carefully over to the light on the wall before I go back to the couch. I sit down beside Kiara and set him down in the little space between us. He's still huffing and puffing about what he saw, but he's beginning to blink back his tears at least. "Sorry, baby. But we told you it was a scary movie." Kiara gently points out, allowing him to learn his lesson the hard way, I guess.

Cameron sits sadly in the consequences of his own actions. He's not going to be the only one paying for it though. I think he's going to end up taking up all the space in Kiara's bed later on in the night when he learns he can't close his eyes without seeing the scary demon lady.