Subject 1: The First Pawn Move

Start from the beginning

Even my complex mind couldn't answer that simple question before I closed my eyes for the rest of the time inside the bus. An individual, a child keep flashing inside my mind, as not even a single second could my mind thought of anything else except that child after the petal dropped.

A scene then played inside my head, a game of chess? I have played thousands of games inside the unusually prolonged White Room experiment. I always faced the same opponent as I played chess over and over, almost like a routine where the result of it always tied.

Another thought then popped up inside my head, slowly piecing the pieces together.

'I suppose I owe it to the old man who forced my father to stop the experiment at the worry he's showing to his daughter...'

Daughter? He has a child? For the life of me I couldn't even piece the puzzle together. The identity of someone I played against all those years, the identity of old man's child. Are they connected somehow?

The bus then stopped, now reaching the bus stop near the school as every student inside the bus walks out to attend to their own classes.

Without any much of a thought, I walked to the gate before a familiar sound rang on my ears.

"We met again, Kiyotaka-kun. After only a couple of months."

My eyes widen from her arrival. Everything inside my mind clicked into place like a jigsaw puzzle. All of this, from the old man recommending this place to him convincing Matsuo-san for me to attend this school that's directed by the old man.

I finally see her plans. Reuniting us in this school to compete once again, now using the students on the school as chess pieces.

"Who are you? I don't think we ever met in the past."

With her signature laugh, she passes me, a glint of coldness hides behind her eyes after she turned her gaze at me.

"Heh, did your perfect memory tried it hardest to forget about my existent. My apologies, then."

The girl then continue walking, smiling coldly and leaving me alone in a trance state.

"Excuse me, can you stop standing in front of the bus door?"

The girl who ask for seats ask me to step aside.

A nod is all it took for me to continue walking more into the school. Still occupied, I didn't even realize the flipping page girl is standing on the stairs, trying to look condescendingly towards me. Is she even trying?

"Hey, you were looking at me at the bus, why is that?"

The flipping page girl asked. That day was luckily windy, making her stance a bit more intimidating than it should be.

How would I reply to this insignificant answer without creating problems for myself in the future...

"Oh, my bad. I was just wondering what makes you so calm sitting on your place when someone old is asking for a chair. I thought you are like me, disinterested."

"Don't assume that we're the same. I didn't give up my seat due to my task."

I don't think you need to sit to be able to read, also a reading is classified as a task nowadays?

"If that's all, then I'm off."

The flipping page girl turned around before continue walking back to the school as the tension of the aura has been lifted off from the scene.

Well, this scene could honestly be avoided if I didn't peek at her notebook, should've not get my awareness way too high toward girls due to me having one bad experience with one.