Chapter 22: The Man Who Cried Wolf

The next day at dusk, I stood in front of the elevator, not knowing if I should go up or just ditch. Will was all for me to stand up, Ly, while Ali encouraged me to go. It was interesting how quickly Ali changed her tune when Ly showed her his extensive collection of rare knives. Rosa was vehemently against the meeting; however, Matteo, who always valued diplomacy, thought making amends would be a good idea.

"Perhaps Ly would even offer you an apology." Was Matteos' reason while Rosa glared at him.

If looks could kill, Matteo would be on the floor.

I ping-ponged between curiosity and hesitation for a few minutes; nevertheless, curiosity got the better of me, so I pressed the button to go up and waited for the elevator to arrive. While riding up, my mind was turning like a water mill's wheel. Was I willing to accept Lys' apology? Had his persistence over the week wained me down? Was the roughness of my edges blunted because of his constant flattery and presence? Had Lys' kindness toward my friends softened me like a caramel toffy sitting too long in the sun? There were so many questions and so little answers. Only Ly could give resolutions, although his willingness to provide me with answers was another matter. A grumble of irritation escaped me. Ly was likelier to give out stakes and point at his heart.

As the bell dinged, making me wince with the realization that there was no turning back, I exited and was awaited by the person who invited me to this little get-together.

Ly stopped mid-pace, "You came."

"Surprised?" I challenged.

Ly gave me a smile full of charm. "Indeed, as well as delighted. Perhaps I shall give this trusting thing more of a chance."

Ignoring his attempt at a tease, I turned towards the stairs. "Perhaps you should lead the way, Ly."

However, before I could climb a single step, his hand gripped me in the crook of my elbow. A shiver went through me, just like that night at the club. Without much of an effort, Ly turned me around.

Searching my face, Ly spoke earnestly, "Thank you for coming, I appreciate it." Then he suddenly turned on his heels and gestured for me to follow, "Now, let us go to the car."

That snapped me to attention. "The car? What car?" I blurted before my eyes squinted with suspicion, "Why a car?"

A sigh of mock bliss escaped Ly, "Ah, how I yearned for your little constant questions."

"Is that sarcasm I hear?" With a sweet expression, I warned ominously, "If you are full of sass, I will go back downstairs."

"My lips are sealed," Ly solemnly vowed as he bowed me out the front door.

Catching myself smiling, I forced my features to turn blank as I regally passed Ly with a bob of my chin. Damn him for being so charming! However, I quickly skidded to a stop as I noticed a tank-like car parked on the driveway. The vehicle was massive and bulky, with tiers similar to a tractor's. Clearly, the purpose of such a car was off-road driving... or going to war.

Apprehensive, I glanced toward the vampire, "Where're we going?"

Ly placed his palm on the small of my back and led me toward the monster truck. "We are going into the forest. I wish to introduce you to someone." Without warning, Ly opened the passenger door and ushered me inside like a lady who needed help getting inside a carriage.

"And who is that?"

Ly gave me a very secretive smile. "One of my friends."

"Why, Ly, you have friends and more than one? A self-proclaimed loner like you claims to enjoy company? I'm speechless!"