Chapter 5: Lysander

There, right there in the middle of the room, I wished for a hole in the ground with the devil to grab me by the ankle and then drag me down into the deepest parts of hell. Or it could be a Gollum; I was never picky. Embarrassment washed over my face as my cheeks shined brightly.

Oh Lord, from above, now is the time to open up the heavens and take me up; I am ready.

The Lord didn't oblige.

I was still there in the dark, moonlit room with the very vampire; I was deemed to serve. Or doomed was more fitting. I mentally berated myself for finding him handsome as he was my new 'employer'. The longer we stayed in silence, the more awkward it became. Not for him, just for me. Lysander was armed with a smirk while his brow arched above the other the longer I stayed silent.

Clearing my throat, I finally found my voice filling in the stifling silence, trying to cover my unease. "Well, that is a mouthful. I will call you Ly if that is alright with you, partner?" I teased shyly, giving him a thumbs up, not knowing whether I had crossed the line.

He remained wordless and unblinking.

The silence was so uncomfortable that I began to ramble, "I mean partners like Bonny and Clyde, you know, like police partners, not romantic partners. Oh, wait, I think Bonny and Clyde were actually together..." As I spoke, my words became faster and faster.

Lysander remained unnervingly quiet and still with calmness. He was probably enjoying watching me dig my grave further.

"What I'm trying to say is that I'm willing to help you out, and in return, you can help me. Maybe we can be friends, but I don't want to be pushy or rude, and I don't want to make you uncomfortable..."

Brain, stop the mouth, for the love of God!

Despite his stillness and polite expression, his widened eyes shone with hilarity as if I wasn't what he expected. Lysander leaned in, and I tensed, attempting to pull my hand away, but he held on firmly and drew me towards him. I fell silent, my face flushing with deep crimson at his proximity and my palms turning clammy with fear. Although he was attractive, it didn't guarantee his character was pleasant or kind.

"Intoxicating," Lysander muttered under his breath, leaning closer and lowering his head. His nostrils flared as he took a deep breath.

"What?" I squeaked, my knees suddenly feeling weak.

Suddenly, a bright light blinded me. I blinked rapidly, trying to determine the source of the assaulting light.

"I told you to stay in the hall!"

I recognised that unpleasant voice. I wanted the hell to take me, and it had arrived. When my eyes finally got used to the assaulting light, I noticed Angelica's shape standing in utter amazement and her face scrunched in a seething kind of anger. 

Hell hath no fury like Angelica scorned.

"Are you that thick you cannot even-"

"Enough," Lysander cut her off. Even though his voice was calm, it was firm and cold.

A smile that was adoring his lips before had evaporated. His deadpan expression made me shiver; thankfully, his eyes were not on me but solely focused on the vampiress in the doorway. 

Angelica gawked, just noticing who stood behind me, and her fury towards me momentarily poofed out of existence. Turning suddenly timid, she lowered her gaze, "Sire, I was just looking for you to announce that the Donor has arrived."