EIGHT; ACQUAINTANCES

Zacznij od początku

"It's Katherine who has the moonstone," Elena reminded them. "She's not gonna give it to us."

"We're gonna get it from her," Stefan declared, now feeling slightly heroic.

"Well, what he means to say, is that we will pry it from her cold, dead hand if we have to," Damon stated.

"Bonnie just needs to find a way to release the seal long enough for us to get in, get the moonstone, and get out in time for her to put it back up," Stefan remarked. That had been Estella's suggestion, and she felt glad that Stefan found her ideas useful.

"Wow. I mean, it sounds like you guys already have it planned out," Elena said with an irate tone.

"Yep, we're awesome," Damon remarked.

"No one says awesome anymore," Estella said with a huff, rolling her eyes at her immature brother.

"Except for one thing," Elena told them. "I don't want you to do it."

Damon and Stefan exchanged glances while Estella sat up more, more intrigued in what Elena had to say.

"What are you talking about?" Stefan questioned. "Elena, we don't have a choice."

"What about Klaus?" Elena questioned, worried of what he could do to her and her family.

"We'll find him," Stefan assured, making Estella roll her eyes at the dumb reply. "But after we get the moonstone."

"Klaus doesn't get found," Estella mentioned to her brothers. "He finds you."

"Is that before or after he kills everyone I care about, including the three of you." Estella glanced at the doppelgänger confusedly, but started to gain some shred of respect for her. Elena cared about her brothers and was not willing to have them die for her, something Estella valued.

"Elena, if we can de-spell the moonstone, we can save your life," Stefan told her, trying to convince her to join the plan.

Elena scoffed, now looking fed up with Stefan and Damon. "I know. Everybody keeps saying that." She stood up and walked away from the three.

"Go with her," Damon spoke, glancing at his sister. Estella narrowed her eyes at him, a frown on her lips.

"Why me?"

"Because she likes you, sorta."

Estella scowled and—reluctantly—followed the doppelgänger.

"Elena," Estella called, sounding more annoyed than desperate. "Wait."

Elena turned to the vampire and looked confused. "Why are you following me?"

"I have a question," Estella said to her with a perplexed look. "When you were talking about Klaus killing my brothers and I, why did you say you cared about me? You hardly know me."

"We've only met, but so far you've supported me in arguments with your brothers and helped me escape Rose and Trevor when you didn't know who I was," Elena told her with a shrug. "You seem trustworthy enough."

Estella frowned. "What are you getting at here? Why would you want to be acquainted with me?"

Elena sighed. "I don't want to be acquainted with you, I want to be friends with you. But I know how people like you can get, so I figured I'd take it slow."

"You want to be friends with me?" Estella asked incredulously. "You've just met me."

"You seem alone. When was the last time you had a friend?"

Estella paused, thinking for a moment. "I didn't get along with many people, Elena. I've mostly had lovers and enemies."

"You didn't even have friends when you were a human?" Elena asked, seeming surprised by this information.

Estella rolled her eyes, a small huff escaping her lips. "You know Damon and Stefan, they were protective. Besides, my family was more focused on getting me a husband than friends."

Elena humorlessly chuckled. "I get it. I think that's what I like about you. You're independent. You don't have to rely on them to help you, they rely on you. Sometimes I wish they'd stop taking bullets for me and let me take some for them instead."

Estella smiled slightly and turned to Elena, ready to give her some advice. "If it's freedom you want, you'll have to keep some secrets from them. Otherwise it's like they'll know your every move."

Elena looked at her intently before nodding, letting the information sink in.

_____

you know what i don't know where this was going but apparently estella and elena are friends now so #estlena (?)

i've been listening to the neighbourhood all day, nice.

-holly