EIGHT; ACQUAINTANCES

Start from the beginning

"We're here for the moonstone," Stefan said, skipping formalities and straight to business. He narrowed his eyes on Katherine.

"Feel like tossing it over?" Damon questioned. Estella rolled her eyes, she already knew the answer to that. Katherine was going to make a deal instead.

"Tell you what," Katherine prompted. "You get your little witch to hocus pocus me out of here, you can have whatever you want."

"I thought you like it in here," Estella stated and raised her eyebrows and smirked. "Nice and safe, where Klaus can't get to you."

"I've had time to reconsider," Katherine rasped, the lack of blood making her voice scratchy. She looked annoyed now, as if she rethought her decision to be 'the safest bitch in town.'

"Meaning your hungry," Damon corrected Katherine with a small smirk, knowing that he was right.

"I'm starving, Damon. And dirty," Katherine said with a pointed look. "But, above all, I'm bored. At least running from Klaus isn't boring. "

"You want me to fetch you a deck of cards?" Estella questioned mockingly. "You can play Solitaire."

Katherine glared at the blonde and said, "So here's the deal—you get me out of here, you get the moonstone, and I'll disappear from Mystic Falls forever."

The Salvatore siblings exchanged glances, both holding the same look, before they turned to Katherine.

"We'll have to think about it," Estella told the brunette with a thoughtful look.

"Let me know what you decide," Katherine said and held up the moonstone as she stumbled away from the siblings.

"You don't believe her do you?" Elena asked, looking at the Salvatores.

"No, of course not," Damon replied with his infamous smirk plastered on his face. "We just want the moonstone."

"According to Rose's friend Slater, there's a way to destroy the spell that Klaus wants to break," Stefan stated.

Estella was shocked, not actually believing there was a way to destroy the one thing binding the curse. She frowned. Slater lied to them, and Estella wanted to get to the bottom of it.

"No spell, no doppelgänger sacrifice. Ergo you live," Damon said, shooting Elena a satisfied look.

"How do you destroy it?" Elena asked, sighing at Damon's happiness. She wasn't liking the plan so far.

"By releasing it from the moonstone," Stefan answered. Estella had to hold back a laugh of how ridiculous it sounded.

"What?" Damon asked his sister, eyeing her actions.

"I don't know, doesn't that sound a little bit too easy?" Estella questioned with a raised brow. "I mean, we're talking about a curse here, and not just any curse, an old curse since the dawn of time. If it were that easy to destroy, don't you think someone would've done it by now?"

"We have to try everything," Stefan stated, ignoring Estella's logical explanation. He was too invested in his careless hope to listen to anything else.

"Estella's right, how do you guys even know this is gonna work?" Elena questioned.

"'Cause we have a craft witch on our side," Damon reminded Elena.

"You discussed it with Bonnie," Elena deadpanned, not looking pleased with this. She didn't want Bonnie getting involved in her business.

"She agreed to do anything she could to help us," Stefan told Elena.