September 8 (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

‘ I…I am, I was able to sleep today…Di, tell them’ Shubman pleaded.

‘ He's right papa, he's not fit enough to travel. What if something happens on the flight?’ she tried to reason against her hearts wishes.

‘ Dada….I will recover soon. I ..please? I don't want to go abroad’ Shubman held his father's hand.

‘ Zid math karo bacche. Don't be stubborn’

‘ papa, let's give it a few more days. If he doesn't recover we will take him’ Simran suggested.

‘ What is wrong with you both. Can't you see how much pain he's in. No one is giving us any answers. I can't see him like this’  his mother got up agitated.

‘ Mamma…’ Shubman held her hands and stopped her.

‘ One week, give me one week from today onwards. ….I will recover…’ Shubman pleaded unreasonably.

‘ How?’ his mother asked.

‘ I…I don't know.’

Shubman looked down at his lap. He didn't know how he would recover, when he didn't know what ails him. All he knew was, going abroad meant, going away from Ishaan, and he couldn't accept that.

‘ Kaka, we just want what's best for you’ his dad patted his head.

‘ I know….just, trust me this once. Please?’ he pouted.

Neither his father, nor his mother could deny him, his wishes. Against their hearts, they agreed to whatever he said.

‘ one week, Shubman’ his mother said sternly.

Shubman nodded and hugged her. He tried to fight off the fear which tried to get ahold of his heart. He couldn't become weak. He needed to recover against all odds.

Shubman didn't want to let his mom and dad go, but after spending a few hours together, he hugged them as they decided to go for the night. They didn't want to go either, but, they came to the hospital straight from the airport, they needed to rest.

‘ Now that you are determined to get better, I know that you will, my Sher’ his dad whispered as he hugged him.

Shubman nodded.

‘ Happy birthday beta’ his mom handed him a box.

He smiled and opened it, it was a beautiful Rolex watch.

‘ I wish things were different, and we didn't have to give you this in the hospital’ she wiped her tears.

‘ Things will get better, mom’ Simran tried to console him.

After they had left, Simran came and lied down next to Shubman.

‘ Happy birthday, baby. Let's go for a long vacation after all this’ she said snuggling into his arms.

Shubman agreed and hugged her.

‘ Did you…did you talk to him?’

Simran tensed up. she didn't want to tell him about their conversation.

‘ I didn't get the time to’

‘ I…I miss him. Do you think…he misses me?’ he sniffled.

‘ I don't know kaka. Why are you thinking of things that ache your heart?’ she asked quietly.

‘ He is my entire heart. If he's not here, then…how do I …’ he couldn't complete his sentence.

‘ Shubman…we can think of all this later. Remember what you promised?’ she tried to change the topic.