24: I'm sorry, Princess

Start from the beginning

I haven't had someone grope me like that since the last time I saw Damian. I swallow before looking outside the window again. Toto was holding onto the guy by the collar. He says something before the creep nods. Toto, let's go of him and walk back around to the drivers door and climb in the car.

He starts driving his knuckles white on the steering wheel. He takes one of them and puts it on my thigh. "Are you alright?" He questions, glancing over at me for a second.

"Yea, I just -" I sigh. "You think you'd be safe at the paddock of all places. That someone who's supposed to be guarding this place would be a good person. Fucken men and women like him don't deserve to be treated like equals." I start ranting before I stop. I sigh and shake my head.

"It happens. We live in a world where that's not the first time something like this has happened, and it sure as hell won't be the last. Just got to make sure it doesn't affect me, is all." I explain.

"I'm sorry, princess, if I had been here sooner -" Toto starts.

I cut him off "No Toto, don't blame yourself. You're here now, and that's all that matters." I say, giving his hand a squeeze.

He nods before that familiar comforting silence settles between us. It's interrupted by my stomach growling.

"When was the last time you ate?" Toto asks.

"Um - this mornings room service," I admit.

"Addy."

"I know, what can I say? I got busy," I try.

"Let's get you some food? How's that sound?" He asks.

My stomach growling again answers for me. Toto puts on his flicker to signal he's turning. Soon enough, we're pulling into a small fast food drive-through.

"I was going to save this for tomorrow's breakfast, but I guess we can start tonight. Me and my dad found this restaurant the first time we ever came into the city to get him checked at the hospital. And no matter what, whenever we come out here for the race, I make sure I stop past." He says before pulling into the drive-through. He made the order in German before pulling up to the next window.

He pays before the cashier realizes who he is and asks for a photo. Toto passes me the cashiers phone before I take a photo of the two of them.

"Maya, you're Lena's daughter?" Toto asks.

The kid nods his head.

"Tell your mom, I say hello," Toto says, as the kid gives him his bag.

They say goodbye before Toto drives and parks in the parking lot across the road.

"So this place is a family owned business. And when my dad and I first went there, my dad was trying to cheer me up cause we had just gotten his diagnosis, but he went and talked to the owner, who was Masons grandfather. Explained the situation, and they gave me this huge bowl of ice cream and brownies. Which is why we have this!" He says excitedly, pulling out a bowl with ice cream and brownies.

"You know I like savory stuff more than sweet, but their ice cream and brownies are the best sweet dessert you'll ever taste in your life." He says, opening it and grabbing two spoons from the bag.

"Shouldn't we have food before having dessert?" I question.

"Nope, you have their dessert before their food it's tradition. At least for me, " He replies.

There's something different about Toto when he speaks of his childhood. It's like he gets turned into a little boy again. It only makes my heart warmer.

"Well, you've talked a big game about it. Let's see if it's as amazing as you say." I tell him, grabbing a spoon and dishing up some of the vanilla ice cream and brownies. I put it in my mouth and watch as Toto waits patiently for my response.

The minute it hits my tongue, it's like I'm transported to heaven and back. Imagine the best ice cream you've ever had on steroids. This was perfection. The way the ice cream just melts on your tongue, leaving behind a sweet aftertaste that's mixed with the warm chocolate from the perfectly baked brownies.

"Holy shit that's amazing," I say.

"Exactly!" He shouts excitedly. I smile at how excited he is.

"I need this recipe," I tell him.

"I've tried my hardest bargaining with Lena for it. It's a family secret she won't ever let slip out her reach." He tells me.

"I can be very persuasive." I smirk.

He lifts an eyebrow. "Is that so?" He says before leaning in and kissing me. I thought that dessert couldn't get better, but tasting it on his tongue is a new level of heaven I wasn't aware was possible to reach while being alive.

When we pull apart, I bite my lip. And he smiles. We sit there looking at each other for what must've been a few minutes before he clears his throat and reaches back into the bag. "The most perfect fries for you, madam." He passes me a huge amount of fries.  "And because I'm sure you have something wrong upstairs, a vanilla milkshake to go with it." He says, pointing at the vanilla milkshake in the cup holder.

"Hey, that's mean. Fries dipped in a vanilla shake is one of the best food combos you'll ever find." I defend.

"Must be a younger generation thing." He shakes his head before pulling out a box of nuggets. "For you, princess," He tells me. I screech from excitement "nuggets!!" I shout as he passes them to me.

"I'm going to assume you like what I've picked?" He asks.

"I know it's a bit basic, but yesssssss!! I love it." I smile. "What did you get?" I question.

"They have this thing called a Kota. It's a South African dish, but it's delicious. This one is a butter chicken curry version. It's just delicious. " He shows it to me. 

"Ooo, I want a taste of that," I say.

"I'll give you a bite for a nugget?" He counters.

"Deal," I put my hand out, and he shakes it.

"Done deal." He smiles.

We sit there in the parking lot for the next two hours just listening to a spotify playlist I put on and talking. We speak about anything and everything.

I don't know how he does it, but when I'm with him, all my worries and stress disappear. He makes me feel like I can be myself, like I'm safe no matter what.

I've never felt like that before.

And to think this all started with what I thought was going to be a one night stand.