Abhiram walked in and remarked, "You're not ready yet?"

"Well, actually, um, do you know how to drape a saree? I mean, if you can, could you please help me? I don't know how to wear it," I asked, feeling a bit embarrassed.

"No, I don't know how to do it," he replied straightforwardly.

"Oh, can you call someone who can help me?" I suggested.

"Mai bulao kesi ko (what I call someone)" he said. Confused, I asked, "Uh, what?"

"I mean, you can call someone from your phone. I am drenched in sweat; I took a bath meanwhile," he clarified, and I nodded in understanding.

I dialed my mom's number from my phone, and after three rings, she answered. "Namaste, maa," I greeted.

"Namaste," she mumbled.

"Are you sleeping, maa? Sorry to disturb you," I said.

After a few moments, she recognized my voice. "Oh, it's you, Siya. What happened, beta?" she asked.

"Nothing, maa. You sleep. Sorry to disturb your sleep," I said.

"It's okay, beta. Waisa bhi mai utna hi wali thi," she replied. "Tell me, what happened?" she inquired.

"Um, actually, maa, I need your help," I mumbled.

"Sure, beta. What do you need help with?" she asked.

"I umm don't know how to wear a saree. Can you please help me?" I said, feeling embarrassed.

"Of course, beta. I'll help you. But if you're not comfortable in a saree, you can wear whatever you want. No one will say anything," she assured.

"No, maa, actually, I want to wear it. It's also my first day here," I explained.

"Okay, but you have to come to my room, as I can't come there. It's downstairs on the left side," she instructed.

"But maa, why can't you come here?" I asked.

"Actually, beta, the whole floor is for Abhiram, and if there's not an emergency, we're not allowed to be there," she explained. Not fully understanding, I agreed, "Okay, then I'll come downstairs."

I quickly made my way downstairs, navigating through the unfamiliar corridors. As I reached her room, my mom greeted me with a warm smile.

"Come in, Siya. Let's get you all set in that saree," she said, patting the space beside her.

As she skillfully demonstrated the art of draping a saree, I marveled at her proficiency. Her hands moved with ease, turning the intricate process into a seemingly effortless task. She patiently guided me through each step, offering words of encouragement.

"You're doing great, beta. It takes a bit of practice, but you'll get the hang of it," she reassured.

After a few attempts, I started feeling more confident, and the saree began to take shape. As I looked at myself in the mirror, a sense of accomplishment washed over me.

"Thank you, maa. I couldn't have done it without you," I expressed my gratitude.

With a reassuring smile, she replied, "Anytime, beta. Now, go and make the most of your first day. You look beautiful."

After leaving her, I went towards the kitchen where I met Chachi. "You woke up early, beta. You should take some rest," she said.

"It's okay, Chachi," I replied.

"Do you know it's your first rasoi today?" Chachi asked.

"Yes, Chachi. Can you please tell me what everyone likes to eat?" I asked.