Chapter 06: Family

Start from the beginning

I bumped on Asad's black leather shoes with mine. A few seconds later, he folded his newspaper and raised an eyebrow at me. What?

I gestured to Qais, who was still staring at our sisters' endless argument with our mothers, who ignored them quite professionally. I waited for Asad to react. Within a few seconds, he realised what was going on and turned to me, saying inaudibly, Zahra?

I nodded as we exchanged looks before turning to face Qais.

"If you're that interested in gossip, then you're most welcome to leave." Asad said.

Qais turned to face him, gave him a look, and then did the same to me before grabbing his knight from F6 and replacing my soldier on D5 with his.

"Why are you so distracted?" Asad rested his right ankle on his left knee, crossed his arms across his chest, and pinned Qais with a stare.

I waited for his response as they locked eyes, but Ahana spoke out again.

"Tell me about Bhabhi then!" She and Ziya turned to face Kainaat, who was now beaming with excitement.

"She is a lawyer who lives in London. And she's not much of a talker, but she's lovely. You're going to love her. And as you've seen in the photo, she's stunning!" A cheeky smile appeared on her face as she looked at Qais and asked, "Haina, Bhai?"

Qais twisted his mouth on his side before turning to face his sister, who simply smiled as she turned away and remarked, "See, he agrees!"

"But Qais Bhai lives in New York. Will they have a long-distance married life then?" Ziya inquired, but Kainaat only shrugged.

I looked up at Qais and said quietly, "That is a good question they have there. How will you two manage?"

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the three fools fighting amongst themselves, occasionally casting glances at us. Why am I having a bad feeling about this?

"I'm transferring to the London branch." Qais responded, and I looked up in disbelief. He's transferring? For the girl he met last week?

Asad grabbed the newspaper from the table next to him and quietly said, "A week ago, Qais, you despised her. You weren't even willing to meet her just once. Asha Maa had to literally blackmail you with your position at the company. But now you're so eager to marry her that you'll even be transferred."

Qais began, "I've told you," before turning to face Asad on his left and briefly looking at me. "It wasn't—"

"Bhai! Bhai!—" I heard Kainaat call Qais, but I ignored it because I was entirely focused on Qais' words. On what he was planning to say or wants to say.

"—like that. I was—" He continued.

"—Bhaiya! Bhai!—" Ahana joined Kainaat.

"—just mad. I was mad at—" Qais's brow furrowed as he attempted to dodge the mayhem to our left.

"—Bhai! Bhaiya! Bhai!—" Ziya's voice began with them.

"—Maa. I didn't like the way—" Asad's eyes were gradually narrowing, and his brows began to gather in the middle in a frown as he stared at Qais, attempting to remain focused and calm.

"—Bhai! Bhai! Bhai! Bh..."

"—WHAT?" Qais shouted before turning in his seat and fixing his gaze on them.

They came to a complete halt and shook their heads as if to say, "Nothing." Then they pushed their lips together as their entire body trembled with the laughter they were keeping in.

I sighed heavily and shook my head. Sisters! How can they be ours?

"I hate kids!" Asad murmured.

"Beta, don't trouble your brothers like that." Nawab Sahab's voice rang out before he walked out of the hallway leading to the kitchen on the left side of the residence, where he, Baba, and Bade Papa are preparing dinner for tonight since they are overjoyed with Qais' marriage.