Chapter 01: Nonsense

9:48 P

9:48 P.M.
MAYFAIR, LONDON

"Haramkhor, aisa konsa pahar ukhar rahi hai jo ek phone bhi nahi utha sakti?" Mallika's voice burst out through the phone as soon as I answered. I checked the caller ID before bringing the phone to my ear once more.

"Sorry, I thought it was Maa." I replied as I exited the car and locked it.

"And I thought you blocked me." She yelled as I heard a low whisper from behind her. "Also, I've already reached Sabah's house. Where are you?"

"About that, I don't think I can come today." I said slowly as I strolled through the lobby and into the elevator before pressing on the number 8. "I am really stu..."

"Sabah!" She paused for a second. "Zahra says she won't be able to come!" She yelled into the phone, and Sabah began to say something that I couldn't understand. So I leaned against the freezing metal wall of the elevator, with my phone placed against my ear, and waited for them to finish talking.

"You should've told us sooner. We would have rescheduled it." Sabah spoke this time. She's upset.

"I'm sorry," I wrinkled my nose before saying. "I..."

"Arre, just ask that bitch to come." I heard Mallika yell from behind.

"Can't you just come in for like half an hour?.. I'm almost finished cooking." Sabah inquired. "You can just come and..."

I heard Mallika shout again, interrupting Sabah just as I stepped out of the elevator into a hallway with a polished white marble floor and turned right.

"Pretend asay kar rahi hai jaise there aren't any lawyers in London apart from her. Just tell that kamini to get her sorry ass here right now." Chup bhi karja.

"Sabah, tell her to talk to me directly in the face." I replied as I came to a halt in front of a matte black door and pressed the bell twice.

"What did she say?" I overheard Mallika asking.

"Nothing." Sabah yelled back her response. "You just check who's at the door."

"Main kya teri nowkar hoon?" Mallika responded.

I sighed when I heard perfect silence from their side. I'm sure they're already giving each other that long stare. At least open the door before you do your nonsense. I again pressed and held the bell.

After a few seconds, the door swung open, revealing Mallika and Sabah looking half-frowned and half-shocked.

"Surprise!" I walked inside with a little smile and gave a short hug to Sabah, who stood motionless in her place, holding the door open. Then I smiled at Mallika, who stared at me with a frown, and I hugged her into a tight hug that I knew would irritate her.